Notify
Tools

Leupold’s new goofy scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
On the other hand the higher line of sight shows a flatter trajectory over game ranges.

????

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Play with your Pointblank with various scope heights. For instance that rifle uses the 58 VMax at 3750 fps. When zero'd at 250 it's maximum trajectory at 150 yds is 1.78" when 2" over the bore and 1.98" when 1.5" over the bore. Cool

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Play with your Pointblank with various scope heights. For instance that rifle uses the 58 VMax at 3750 fps. When zero'd at 250 it's maximum trajectory at 150 yds is 1.78" when 2" over the bore and 1.98" when 1.5" over the bore. Cool

POA and the actual trajectory of the round is why scopes/sights are adjustable for elevation. I guess if you’re hunting bees two tenths of an inch might result in a miss at 150 yards, but on anything else the target will absorb that, and then some, without much problem. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the ability to move my shots two tenths of an inch at 150 yards on purpose.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That same load is 12" low at 400 yds with a 1.5" height over the bore and 11.7" low with a 2" height over the bore. Its a win/win deal. Meanwhile your using a 56mm Ellipse and I am using a 50 mm on my high comb rig. Cool

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That same load is 12" low at 400 yds with a 1.5" height over the bore and 11.7" low with a 2" height over the bore. Its a win/win deal. Meanwhile your using a 56mm Elipse and I am using a 50 mm on my high comb rig. Cool

First off, I wouldn’t have one of those stupid scopes if someone gave it to me, nor would I have a 50mm objective scope...but your examples of two tenths and three tenths of an inch difference in POA and POI is pretty silly wouldn’t you say?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin

I take that as a yes? beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
My take is that "The lady doth protest too much" and you have one on order as we speak!

In any case "There is no joy in Mudville as mighty Casey has struck out".
wave

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My take is that "The lady doth protest too much" and you have one on order as we speak!

In any case "There is no joy in Mudville as mighty Casey has struck out".
wave

I have one of “what†on order? If you are talking about the new Leupold scope you must not have read my post that started this thread.

I’m still trying to figure out what you are hunting where a “miss†of two to three tenths of an inch from POA would make a bit of difference ??????? bewildered

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that look good on a M710?

Maybe the 10 people that bought WSSM's will buy a few.
Looks like the same people that brought us the useless alphabet soup magnums have branched out into optics.

Rather spend the money on a couple of good Nikons.

Wait! I did spend the money on a couple of good Nikons

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Terry,
As I’m sure you know, all lens systems “need glasses“ since the different colored light waves bend differently depending on their wave length as they pass through each lens. Trying to get all those waves to converge (focus) at the same point is quite a trick...especially when some idiot engineer decides to toss a different shaped objective lens into the game.

Actually the lense isn't a "different shape"
It's still round, it just has a "bite" out of
it.... I'll get to the effect of this below....

And like camera lenses the issue with scope objectives is that the entire diameter of the objective lense isn't actually used....

If anyone here is into photography and knows something about special effect filters you'd know that the outer perphery of the lense isn't actually visible.

Wanna prove it?

Simply point your scope at a blank wall and put a finger in front of the objective.
I'll bet you'll be VERY suprised how far in you can put your finger in before you see a dimming
from the obstruction.

the reason larger diameter lenses are better
(and they are better) is because the useful area of the lense is larger.
And if you want a real mind trip, if you have a variable power scope try it with the power turned up...

I don't think the effect of that "notch" out of the lense is all that great, but I agree, it's marketing hype.
If you really MUST have the news thing you've already bought one.

quote:
originally posted by Zeke:
Mabey the 10 people that bought WSSM's will buy a few. Looks like the same people who brought us the useless alphabet soup magnums have branched out into optics.

We have to pause and give some degree of thanks to the "Early adopters" because it is those people who finance the research and development
and perform much of the real world testing of new things and expose the flaws so that the rest of us can enjoy the later, more perfect, versionsSmiler

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote