New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Spotting Scope Recomendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm off to Alaska in 2008 for bear on Kodiak Island and am in the market for a new spotting scope, My old Redfield is a bit long in the tooth. It must fit in a daypack and be waterproof and not be priced like a new Mercedes. My eyes are getting tired so I need all the help I can get, any suggestions?

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the leupold 12-40x60 spotter is tuff to beat, and its the only chocie if you wear glasses, if you don't try giving doug a call and have him send out a minox spotter, they seem pretty cool, compact and clear, if eye relief wasn't an issue I would prolly get the minox

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Lewis,

Look at what you're saying... You're going on the hunt of a lifetime and you're willing to scrimp on optics? Eeker

Think this through carefully. shame

Were I you I'd buy the best that money can buy and when the trip is over sell them/it if you find yourself cash short. beer

Optics is the very last place to scrimp if you're a serious hunter and your trip to Kodiak indicates that you're a serious hunter. thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip on Minox. As for the price issue, $1000 is reasonable, $1500 is not. I guess it's my Scottish blood, but when I buy something I generally keep it so selling it later is not an option. I can decern little difference between an optic that is 80% as good as the very best and so won't pay for the Rolls Royce when a Cadillac will forfill my needs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give the Bushnell 20-60x70mm Elite spotting scope a look at: www.opticsplanet.net

It is awesome scope for only $484.00 W/S&H.
Bushnells ED line of spotters is a little more$$$ but are also great performers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a clean used Leupold 12-40x60mm Gold Ring Spotter (the funky shaped one). They have great optics and excellent eye-relief.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Leica Certified Pre-Owned (but like new condition) Televid 62 Straight with the Leica Zoom Eyepiece @ $999.99? Call me to discuss it. Ask anyone that owns the Leica, #40108 Televid 62 Straight. I think you will love the optics.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Televid 62 APO, but I paid a lot more than $999.99 for it! I love the scope and feel it was worth the $1500 I paid for it a couple years ago.
For hunting IMHO the straight 62mm Televid is the way to go. Optically it's superb, to my eyes better than the 2 new Swaro's I used next to it side by side.
If I were you I'd grab it before someone else does..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help gang. I ended up eith the 62 Minox ED with some converters so my wife can use her digital Nikon SLR on it. Doug gave me a great deal. The Leica would have been it if not for the camera use,I wanted the ED glass to eliminate color aberation for the photos. Also it was a way to slip it past the better half ( See dear we both can use it).

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start anything here, just curious. How can you plan a hunt on Kodiak for brown bear in 2008 when the draw won't happen until next year? Do you have other plans for brown bear if you don't draw? Registration hunt maybe?? Sounds like you already have a hunt already firmed up.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a very good question M70Nut, and one I would be interested in hearing the answer to as well.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just going on the outfitter/guide's advice. When asked that question he told me they hadn't been refused a permit for a bear hunt. His name is Mike Munsey and because of his exclusive area in the National Wildlife Refuge he gets a number of permits each year for nonresident hunters. This is a practice that was confirmed in my research on these hunts. I just hope it proves to be correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lewis50;

munsey bear camp has been around for over 30 years. i can't remember ever hearing anything bad about them and i hear/read a lot of things.

unless you are considering pre owned we can skip the swarovski and leica that i would have recomended. b.t.w. i don't beleive that either of the newer 60/62mm leica and swarovski scopes is half the scopes of the full size 77/80mm version from the same co. i have plenty of experience with all of them.

for new, i would look at a leupold or nikon.

that being said, i would have my tag in hand before dropping a lot of coin on equipment that you may not ever use. o.k. to research ahead of time though.

i once drew a b.b. tag on my first try for an area that only had 2 non-res tags available. so you never know.

best of luck to you.

Cold Zero