New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris: Made in Phillipines!
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Just got a brand new 1.75-5x Fulfield II - says right on it: "Made in the Phillipes."

In times past Burris was always the brand that went out of their way it seemed to plaster "made in the usa" all over the scopes...

Times change I guess...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the Fullfied II line has always been made elsewhere.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62: I was about to fork over some hard earned cash a couple days ago for a Nikon 6x18 Side Focus Model scope. I was giving it a last looking over in the shop here in my town, and on the bottom of the scope in tiny letters it said "Made in Phillipines".
I passed on it and decided to step up and buy another Nikon Monarch in 6.5x20 power. I have one of these and I looked at it the night of my "Phillipines" finding and I could not find any "made in" markings on that scope. I am assuming it was made in Japan?
Come on Leupold, get real with your prices!
Sheesh!
I am like you 9.3x62 I thought all the Burris scopes were made in the U.S.A. - I only own a couple of them and they are pistol scopes from some time back.
"Times, they are a changin"!
Bob Dylan - circa 1964.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:

Actually, I bought another new 1.75-5x FII just a few months back, and it says made in the USA. So evdiently this is a new thing, at least for this scope model...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the earlier 3x9 ff II scopes, says right on the scope "made in USA". Most all scopes have some parts that are foreign. One of the most surprising scopes I have is a Simmons Whitetail Expedition, made in the Phillipines. 31 bertram

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:

Actually, I bought another new 1.75-5x FII just a few months back, and it says made in the USA. So evdiently this is a new thing, at least for this scope model...

I think now that it may have just been the 3x9 with the baliistic plex that was part of the "package deal" with the compact spotter. I recall reading it on another forum somewhere so you can probably take that for what it's worth. An older original FF that I had said "USA" on it and a Signature I still have also says "USA." I also had a Nikon Monarch 2x7 that said "Phillippines" on it and it was a pretty good scope. I ended up selling it because it was too short to mount on anything I had at the time.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Burris 6.5X20 fine plex FFII last October & it has a made in USA, in big letters on it. Has Burris started manufacturing their products outside the United States recently?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have is a Simmons Whitetail Expedition, made in the Phillipines. 31 bertram

Nice scopes, I have a few of them

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked Burris' web site and the Fullfield II page is the only one that does not display the "Made in USA" flag.

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Fullfield II's are assembled in the Phillipines, so what? Ford Focus's are assembled in Mexico and Nissan and Mazda pickups are assembled in the USA. The new Nikon Buckmasters I believe are also assembled in the Phillipines. If the Fullfield II's and Buckmarks were assembled in the USA and Japan, they would have to have their prices raised to cover the higher labor costs. I own a couple of the Phillipino Fullfield II's, and they work fine. I am going to order a Buckmasters to replace one of them to upgrade my magnification. No worries. I mean it's not like they are being made in China!

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
The Fullfield II's are assembled in the Phillipines, so what?

Not a big deal, really. Just found it curious given tha Burris has, more than any other US scope manufacturer, always been proud to plaster "Made in the USA" all over their products... and then suddenly they are out sourcing.

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I bought a fullfied II, and noticed it did not say where it was made. I called Burris and they told me the 3x9, and the 4.5x14 were both made in Japan. The rest of the line was supposed to be made in the USA. Maybe they switched form Japan to the Phillipines?

I bought a Monarch a couple years ago, and it was made in Japan. Bought one this year and it says made in the Phillipines.

On a side note, the Burris made in America are built by a bunch of mexicans making $6.00 an hour anyway. Their building is pretty dumpy looking from the outside. They offered me a job right out of college paying $9.00 an hour, with a degree in finance.