Notify
Tools

Optics poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted

Question:
What's your favorite brand or riflescope.

Choices:
Leupold
Burris
Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Pecar, KAPS, Meopta, Leica, Minox, Letitz, other Euro.
Nikon, Pentax, Fujinon, other Japanese
Springfield, Redfield, Weaver, other American

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unertl.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I think that would be included in choice number 5.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Burris, as they are the best scope for the money period!

However, they are not the best scope for any money. Then I would say Zeiss, Swarovski, or Schmit and Bender.

You have to pay Leupold a lot more to get an equal product to a Burris.

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
SCHMIDT & BENDER

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

I understand that...but why list some by name and then have an “and others†category? What if number 5 is the winner...how would anyone know which of the multiple choices came out on top?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 x 56mm Ill NP-R2

50bmg half inch holes ...... at long range!

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
quote:

However, they are not the best scope for any money. Then I would say Zeiss, Swarovski, or Schmit and Bender.

Burris were by far my first choice for everything from air rifles to CF rifles. However, about 1999, I bought two 6-24 signature scopes and the cross hairs were about 30 degrees off. After sending them back they were returned with one completely broken crosshair and one with a scratch on the inside of the objective lense. I also think their optical quality went down the tubes at the same time.
Now Zeiss do an affordable series in the Conquest, these have to be one of the best value scopes about. I like Nikon scopes, but my overall favourite is Swarovski. I'm just waiting for my 6-24 PVS to arrive.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:

I understand that...but why list some by name and then have an “and others†category? What if number 5 is the winner...how would anyone know which of the multiple choices came out on top?

Basically, I just wanted an overview. I know Leupold is one of the top selling. And everyone knows that Swarovski, Zeiss, and Schmidt and Bender are the top of the heap.

I like Burris a lot, but everything I own isn't a Burris. I own Nikon, Zeiss, Docter, Swarovski, Leupold, Barska, Kahles, and Weaver.

There are a lot of scope companys, and I didn't list them all, I know their are at least another 10 Euro scope companys, probably 10 more American ones, and at least that many Asian ones. The ones I listed are the main players. It wasn't meant to be exclusive.

Then there are companys tha make product for another company and put their name on it. What do you call these?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to come up with the best, I wanted to know what you guys liked best.

I think Schmidt and Benders are the best. I will never own entirly S&B as their price is inhibitive of such an endeavor.

2/3rds of all my scopes are Burris, they represent solid value, are tough, look good, and have the best optical quality among American scopes. They aren't the cheapest, and they aren't the most expensive. Just rock solid performance, at a reasonable price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have switched to Kahles. I use their binos too. Best optics for the money as far as I can tell.

Posts: 44 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Has anyone owned both Swarovski and Smidt and Bender and if so which do you prefer and why?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have had both, and I prefer the Schmidt and Bender rifle scopes, but use Swarovski binoculars (obviously S&B doesn't make any).

I don't have any S&B rifles scopes right now, but I had a 1.75-6 Hunting model.

The Zenith, is really spectacular, I hope to get one soon in a 3-12x50.

Good luck.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The tasco titan and euro (same scope, really..) are impossible to beat for the money.

remember, i said for the money

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for leupold. never had a real problem with one . and I once droped one right on the elevation turet with my heavy sporterizes mauser 35 whelen on top. Dented the turret cap so bad I neede pliars to take it off.
I like burris Nikkon Bushnell eliets too. But the Great sevice form leupold maked them my favorite. There is a new scope from Redfield thar might change my mind soon...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meopta is my favorite.

Tasco Titan and Euroclass is second.

Jeffe,
Don't feel you have to qualify your like of them by the purchase price.
I've said this before, and I will keep repeating it: for the over 40 year old eye, the resolution of optics costing over $300 (discount price, not MSRP) is HIGHER than the resolution of the eye. This is due to opacification of the lens, loss of plasticity of the lens, and retinal cell drop out.
We like what we like, but not because it is "better".

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Other American? Like what for instance?

Springfield, Redfield, Weaver???? I don't think so!

cheers

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
You hunt with that 14 pound M700?

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
No, but I do hunt with it's bigger brother:

The M40A3 clone is 16# F class target rifle. The M70 shown above with the 6-30x58 US Optics Sn-3 is a varmint hunting gun for long range hunting.

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, I'd have to agree with ya, D99. Tnough, I've compared Burris Sigs. with the Conquests and 800 dollar Swaros, optically, the Burris was brighter and just as clear as anything out there, actually had to give a salesman a lesson/reality check when we both checked out the Conquest scope. And the Burris scopes I've got now perform very well thank you very much, at the range and in the field.

Oh, and Burris and pentax should be classed together, since Burris makes Pentax, in America. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
DMCI:

What's the tube size on the SN-3 in the first pic??

Beautiful rifle, sir!!

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only seen one vote for the bushnell elite series. i like these scopes because they dont cost a fortune and their rain grard. maybe that is because i am from canada and my scopes use to always fog up until rainguard came out. was do others think of the bushnell elites? is there something out there better for the money?

Posts: 27 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
DMCI:

What's the tube size on the SN-3 in the first pic??

Beautiful rifle, sir!!

Rifle is M40A3 Clone, with Jewell single stage 1#, #7 Lilja 3 groove 1/10 twist 24".

That is what I call the USO Canadian Horus. It is the Day Optic offered by US Optics to Canadian Forces. I had them install a Horus H-25 Reticle.

Specs are: SN-3 3.2-17x44 TPAL, Metric EREK, Lit H-25, 34 Tube and low profile eyepiece. (In my opinion the hottest scope on the planet!)

Rings are 34mm Badgers.

Shown here in desert colors:

--------------------

One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
20 MOA rail, DMCI??
Badger too, I assume?

Did you mean 34mm tube??

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Rail is 20 degree US Optics. I actually have a Badger Rail, but I like this one better as it was a little longer than the badger. Rifle is clip slotted and rear reciever ring is milled back per USMC specification.

Rifle formerly had a USO MST-100 on it.

--------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am partial to the Bushnell products. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Weaver has not been an American company since the 1970's.

You can now file it under 'J' for Japanese.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
S&B, Swaro, Kahles, Zeiss and recently I have discovered the IORs (outstanding optics & mechanics, second to none in my opionion - and much cheaper than any of the previously mentioned ones !)

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Cool S & B. Just bought a 3-12x50 with the L7 illuminated reticule. I am most impressed by the quality. I got a deal on it in the UK for £675 which is about $1200, this will live on top of my Sauer 202 .270win.

I have had other S&B's in the past, I also have a meopta, which I believe is the best value for money out there.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
FWIW, Weaver has not been an American company since the 1970's.

You can now file it under 'J' for Japanese.

I have no idea where the current crop of "Weaver" branded scopes are made, but I would venture in some Asian country other than Japan. A lot of optics are coming out of China, Tawain, Korea, Malaysia, and other Pacific Rim industrialized(ing) countries. What you're getting and from where is always in doubt with scopes branded "Bushnell", "Simmons", "Weaver", ""Redfield", or a half-dozen other tradenames.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree stonecreek,I try to stay as american made as possible,the Burris fullfield series is made in the Phillipenes not in Colorado,Leupold on the other hand don't require a remortage on the house and offer the best warrenty in the business.I owned a varx-ll 3-9x42,I bought it in 1973,last year for the first time I had to adjust the scope and the crosshairs didn't move,I sent it back and a brand new vxll came in the mail the next week,can't beat it.Just an opinion from an old hunter.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drop-Shot:
I agree stonecreek,I try to stay as american made as possible,the Burris fullfield series is made in the Phillipenes not in Colorado

As far as I know, it's just the 3-9 and 4.5-14 FFIIs, if thats any consolation. Parts do come from Colo., and are inspected again once they get back from overseas.

Leupolds glass is made.....? Jay

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
here is my S&B

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drop-Shot:
I agree stonecreek,I try to stay as american made as possible,the Burris fullfield series is made in the Phillipenes not in Colorado,Leupold on the other hand don't require a remortage on the house and offer the best warrenty in the business.I owned a varx-ll 3-9x42,I bought it in 1973,last year for the first time I had to adjust the scope and the crosshairs didn't move,I sent it back and a brand new vxll came in the mail the next week,can't beat it.Just an opinion from an old hunter.Drop-Shot

It WILL happen with a leup(old),get used to it.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Nikon has always served me well...

IMO, Monarchs are nice glass for the $...

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice Ed Brown rifle and S&B scope.

Current run shows pretty much what I had thought.

Leupold 1st
German or Austrian 2nd
Japanese 3rd
Burris 4th
Other American 5th

This is why everyone else who makes scopes calls Leupold "that L word".

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99, one of us can't read your poll. I just looked again, and the German or Austrian is still well ahead of the Leupy total, by percentage and total, as it should work out,

51 to 40 or
43% to 33% homer

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One more vote for Meopta as the best value for the money.

Also, a suggestion: When looking for a scope, look through more than one of each model. Individual scopes within a model (any make & model) vary greatly in performance....often even moreso than between brands.

As a result, I never buy scopes through the mail. I go to one or more major retailers and compare actual scopes, side-by-side, until I find the one that performs best for me within the price range I have in mind. Then I buy it regardless of brand.

(Of course, there are some brands which I will not even look at because of poor service, parts,or other customer support issues.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
One more vote for Meopta as the best value for the money.

Also, a suggestion: When looking for a scope, look through more than one of each model. Individual scopes within a model (any make & model) vary greatly in performance....often even moreso than between brands.

As a result, I never buy scopes through the mail. I go to one or more major retailers and compare actual scopes, side-by-side, until I find the one that performs best for me within the price range I have in mind. Then I buy it regardless of brand.

(Of course, there are some brands which I will not even look at because of poor service, parts,or other customer support issues.)

I may have to travel many miles to find a retailer that has a decent supply of scopes. i've been buying Burris scopes since I found out they're a better buy, brighter, etc. etc. than Leupold, and I always get them on-line. If, God forbid, something was wrong with them, I'd send it back to Burris for a "fix". None so far, if there was, I know they'd treat me right, bunch a Good guys at Burris. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice Ed Brown rifle and S&B scope.

Current run shows pretty much what I had thought.

Leupold 1st
German or Austrian 2nd
Japanese 3rd
Burris 4th
Other American 5th

This is why everyone else who makes scopes calls Leupold "that L word".

It is funny how leup(old) loyalists think they are the best when,clearly,they aren't. I think the purpose of this thread was too get the loyalists chimin' in for the "that l word". It hasn't happened but in denial,it prevails anyway.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote