New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions of Zeiss V4 1-4 scopes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking this maybe a good choise for my .404 J, but is it too short for a GM standard magnum action?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm suspicious of high-multiple variables in modern scopes with constantly centred reticles because they add complexity in the erector tube, which is spring-suspended and subject to recoil inertia.

4x multiples were known in the old reticle-movement German scopes but their erector sets were fixed solid in the outer tube and not rocking around when you touched off.

That said, Zeiss is the Mercedes Benz of optics, and you'd think they might have all this stuff sorted, at least in models made in Europe.

If the main tube is too short, you can make it work with inverted extension rings. I used them in swing-out Redfield mounts on a 338WM for 33 years and found them very reliable.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I appreciate the response...

So you're saying the V4 Zeiss is tough enough fo use on a DG rifle?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Within the modern context, yes, it would probably be as good as most other variables. At least the erector tube is not likely to be very long (looking at the distance between the ocular and turrets), so its leverage aspect may be reduced.

One of our members has had trouble with variables on the bigger elephant calibres but thinks the trouble starts at the 458 Lott. The problem seems to come from broken erector springs, and flat springs are most likely to break if twisted laterally when the scope is not mounted straight and the turrets are used excessively to get zero.

Swarovski has solved this by using helical springs behind the erector tube in their Z5 and Z6 models.

My own answer is to source old reticle-movement scopes from Zeiss/Hensoldt, Nickel, S&B, Pecar and the Austrian makers. Most are at least 45 years old but good examples can still be found on the Internet. These are not only tough because there's little to bounce around but they tend to have much less tunnel vision - an important matter with dangerous game. I would look for Zeiss (incl. Hensoldt), Nickel and Swarovski first, as some Pecar and Kahles scopes can be a bit short on eye relief.

You have to mount these models properly to keep the reticle centred and most are either 26mm or have rails that need special mounts, things a competent gunsmith can sort out - but the mounting may cost more than the scope.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the more complete explanation.