Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for .505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted
Looking for suggestions on a scope for my CZ550 Safari Classic. Been thinking of Leupold 1-4x or similar. What about the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x?

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would be more inclined towards a solid ghost-ring aperture but, if you have to get a scope, it will need to be a bloody strong one. The problem with almost all modern scopes is the constantly centred reticle requires a scope within your scope that moves around when you adjust the zero.

The trouble with that is that the inner tube will lurch around under heavy recoil against one or more springs but may not return to the exact same position as before. The inertia acting on this erector tube will also pull it forward if it will go, and I would not be surprised if this produces parallax as time time goes on.

There are at least a couple of makers painfully aware of these dangers. Leupold put two rare-earth springs in their VX-3 line. One, presumably near eight o'clock, is to counter the adjustment screws. The other is probably near six o'clock, it's purpose to return the tube to zero after the rifle lurches upward under recoil.

Swarovski put four coil springs into the Z5 and Z6 scopes, situated behind the tube. The purpose of four springs I suspect is to cope with SBS double rifles where the barrels rise to right on the first shot and the left on the second.

Another brand that pitches at the heavy-recoil market is Nickel AG, but despite their 1.5-6 Magnum's long eye relief, their modern scopes appear to be image-movement, too, and you can only get it by mail order.

You could try to find an old low-powered reticle-movement scope, which were still made in Germany until about 1990. These would best be mounted by a skilled gunsmith on a .505 but the erector set is a solid part of the scope and you only have to worry about the reticle, which was usually pretty strong.

B. Nickel, Marburg, made a large range of those scopes but you might find something similar from the Zeiss/Hensoldt factory at Wetzlar.

Search for these names on Internet auction sites but check with the seller that the reticle will move out of centre and interrogate him about the seals and that focus and adjustments move freely. Ask about eye relief, too. Some variables have really long eye relief at 1x or 1.5x but it shrinks drastically by the time you get to the next power - one aspect in which modern scopes are often better. Though the prices have been rising lately, you might find a good reticle-movement scope for $200 or $300 - a bargain compared with the two or three thousand a new Swarovski, Nickel or Zeiss might cost.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Sambarman, i looked at the price of the Nickel AG. More like Gold AG!

Ian, i would like to try a Nikon 1-4x as they seem to receive excellent reviews.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1901 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2.5x compact.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13367 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir,
If you want the scope to last over 200 rounds you better go with the 2.5X compact on the 505 Gibbs, and the strongest set of rings and bases you can find. Be sure and back up the scope arrangement with a strong set of iron sights. I like the Talley peep on talley QD bases, and I tend to use the Tork screws as opposed to the levers and carry the little wrench in my pocket. but that of course is optional.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41799 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc,
I hope the Nikon 1-4 is less like looking down a black pipe than my Monarch 4-16 is. My Nikon has beautifully clear optics but the rubber eyepiece alone blots out about 30 feet of countryside - not the sort of thing I would want on a DG rifle. Also, I think the internals might be too easily knocked out of whack if I bump it.

I know that is hard to believe of a product from the world's most reliable SLR maker but there is bugger-all rifle hunting in Japan and they may not be completely on top of the issues it involves.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Could a scout scope be mounted? Have a chance to buy a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28.

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Rockdoc,
I hope the Nikon 1-4 is less like looking down a black pipe than my Monarch 4-16 is. My Nikon has beautifully clear optics but the rubber eyepiece alone blots out about 30 feet of countryside - not the sort of thing I would want on a DG rifle. Also, I think the internals might be too easily knocked out of whack if I bump it.

I know that is hard to believe of a product from the world's most reliable SLR maker but there is bugger-all rifle hunting in Japan and they may not be completely on top of the issues it involves.

Thanks Sambarman. Was looking to replace the Zeiss Diavari C 1.5-4.5x on my 375 Mag Flanged as it sticks a long way back of the barrels when opened. May have a look at a Swarovski 1-6xEE when i can find one! I really would prefer to stick to one inch tube though.
Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1901 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IanD. I think you would have trouble actually mounting a Scout scope - without a lot of expense as would be on the barrel.

Perhaps a quality low powered fixed scope? With decent eye relief of course.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,

Yes, been looking into it and not very feasible on the CZ. Keeping my eye out for a 2.5x Leupold or might try the Nikon. Will put lots of rounds through it at the range first to see if it holds up before going to Africa Smiler

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Next question...

With the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4, what would the best reticle be to go with? The German #4?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nikon 1 x 4 is what micheal458 has had the most luck with in shooting the mega-bores. He put one on my 8 1/2 lb 500 MDM and it's been fine. I love the German #4 as well :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs. German #4 it is Smiler
Going to order one now. I am thinking Warne QD rings?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Warne Maximas, but others may have their favorites as well.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with my CZ .505 I don't know how people mount a scope in a "normal" position without going blind. Alaska Arms makes unshaped CZ bases:

http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com

If I ever scoped my .505 I would figure out a way to mount one as a "scout" scope and buy a Leopold (lifetime warranty) with a long eye relief. I would have a very good gunsmith use one of Alaska Arms bases to my barrel in a forward position.

Posts: 521 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote