New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up an older Kahles variable..
I like the scope , but noticed when I crank up the magnification the cross hairs get larger also ...I don't think I've noticed this before with my other Leupolds ..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First focal Plane vs Second. The Kahles, as most European scopes, are first focal plane. Guys that know what they're doing can use that feature to do range estimation.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs
I found a video explaining the difference between 1st and 2nd focal plane ..I knew it had something to do with that , but was not sure how it worked ...

This is probably the first scope I've had that has first plane redical

First plane follows and second plane stays "

Neat feature , as the ballistic redical stays accurate thru the power level change when on the first focal plane ..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The more you use it, the more you'll likely become attached to the FFP design. On the other hand, it seems some hunters/shooters are polarized on 1st vs. 2nd focal planes and have no use for the other. I have both styles and like them equally. Smiler

Enjoy the scope!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
The more you use it, the more you'll likely become attached to the FFP design. On the other hand, it seems some hunters/shooters are polarized on 1st vs. 2nd focal planes and have no use for the other. I have both styles and like them equally. Smiler

Enjoy the scope!

+1 - me too.

But I have grown to like high end ffp scopes by blaser, minox and Schmidt and Bender.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
How old is your scope? If it is 35 years old or more it might not just be FFP but reticle-movement. You can tell if the reticle moves out of centre if you click it far.

And if it does, don't be alarmed - rejoice, because that promises toughness, better field of view and less tunnel vision. You have to take more care mounting them but it is all worthwhile.

It's a long story. If your scope is one of those, PM me your address and I'll give you a copy of my book about the matter.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote