Tools

Vx3i discontinued. New vx-3HD
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
https://www.outdoorlife.com/st...j4AUJXq5gmVmgLSN0OwE

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More marketing hype from a once-practical scope manufacturer. Every time they feel the need to increase prices they simply slap a new name on a line of scopes, couple it with ever more outrageously superlative descriptions, and put one or another useless feature on it.

The reviewer's comment that "My sample was in 4.5-14x40, just about right for every hunting rifle on my rack". reveals just how out-of-touch his generation is with practical scope usage. A variable with a 14X high end is a good choice for "every hunting rifle" only if you're exclusively hunting colony varmints. Such a scope would be a huge handicap for a game stalking rifle.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am dumb founded at some of the decsions that have come out of Leupold in the last couple of years....on the road to ruin.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to see that company going the way it is. They were best when keeping to their original standards and adding a few lines now and then. I see less and less things from them that I would want, while still wishing they kept the old lines for my new rifles.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The "review" cracks me up. It's all fluff with nothing to substantiate his claims of "brighter" and "tougher." Sounds like the guy hasn't even actually used it yet.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
More marketing hype from a once-practical scope manufacturer. Every time they feel the need to increase prices they simply slap a new name on a line of scopes, couple it with ever more outrageously superlative descriptions, and put one or another useless feature on it.

The reviewer's comment that "My sample was in 4.5-14x40, just about right for every hunting rifle on my rack". reveals just how out-of-touch his generation is with practical scope usage. A variable with a 14X high end is a good choice for "every hunting rifle" only if you're exclusively hunting colony varmints. Such a scope would be a huge handicap for a game stalking rifle.

It's probably Biebs - he had at least six Leupolds of that power and said they worked for everything he did

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are tough. I am not overjoyed with Leopold's gyrations to move upmarket either.
They've made the "mistake" of making their scopes in the US instead of China, and having great customer service and durable products (albeit with some tracking problems in their $200 to $600 products compared to competitors' $2K and $3K products). So they're getting killed by all the outsourcers.

And now they're trying to upgrade and keep their products in the same price category as outsourced Nighforce and Vortex. And they're maybe not as good in some head-to-head comparisons. But I imagine they're not making what they need to and have to get more profitable. Hope they make it and can stay in the USA.

I often wonder what the tax for building in US vs overseas is. I'll pay a 20% premium, but not 300%.

While discussion of price vs quality is different from price for domestic vs foreign built, I'm often surprised at things like cell service, video, or landline, where people will shift to a vendor with half the network quality for a 2 or 3% price reduction. My sister was on the phone with the customer service rep for her 3rd tier satellite provider for hours a month to save $20 a month vs having a working system with real customer service. Rant off.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skl1 is right. How dare they try and compete. They make a better lower end scope (the new 3HD) than anything in the price point. They also have by far and away the best over-all scope in the mid price with the 5HD. One could even argue the Mark 5HD is as good as it gets for the price as a very durable tactical option. Same people probably complain about the crap they sell at China-mart...You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has any body ever heard of George L Herter and his products and where is he now?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with 14x as upper end on a variable. I have several and use for PDs, coyotes, antelope and deer.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
These have been out for a while now...anyone tried them out yet?

I've heard a lot of good reviews on the vx freedom lineup

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5x20.

The only difference I see is the cds dial which I do not need on this scope.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I currently have a VX3i on my recently acquired 7mmWSM Browning X-Bolt and am looking to upgrade to one of the HD scopes with CDS. Hoping to have done this for our week long Tahr hunt coming up in two weeks time but unfortunately just running out of time. Considering a VX5-HD although there is a second hand VX6-HD on our national auction site sitting at about the same price as a new VX-5 with no starting bids yet so I am watching this.

Just earlier this week talking to my nephew who has the VX3-HD with custom CDS and he says it is great, doing away with drop charts etc. Just range, dial up and shoot. Says is perfect for alpine tahr and chamois hunting.

I have had a look through a VX5-HD on the range and it is noticeably well ahead on optics than the VX3i.

Some of the cheaper Leupold binoculars are made in China, can't be far away when their lower end scopes go that way too. At least they still have their lifetime replacement warranty (it is just quick replacement here in NZ).
Have got instant replacements for two pair of leupold binoculars my older son had that failed with their diopter focussing and currently going to get a replacement for my other son's binoculars that have had the eyepiece and center focusing wheel rubber armour chewed up by mountain parrots (Keas) while on our tahr hunt last year. Certainly can't complain about the Leupold replacement policy in our neck of the woods.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
Has any body ever heard of George L Herter and his products and where is he now?

George Leonard Herter is long gone on to his reward. His "Hudson Bay Model Perfect World's Finest" products were relatively inexpensive and most of them functional -- mainly because he simply disregarded patents and had copies of well-designed products made to sell at about 2/3rds the price of the originals.

However, if George were still alive today he would be writing Leupold's advertising copy.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Considering a VX5-HD although there is a second hand VX6-HD on our national auction site sitting at about the same price as a new VX-5 with no starting bids yet so I am watching this.

Picked up a VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot CDS ZL-2 on Wednesday second hand for under 900usd. I can tell the glass is very good in these, even played with it some at dusk yesterday.

Spoke to LHeym about the VX5HD and he had nothing but good things to say about them as well.

I'm sure whichever direction you go with the vx6hd or vx5hd, it will be great to have on your Tahr hunts.