New
Find
Notify
Tools

lose of zero question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in your experience in losing zero, or lack thereof, from rifle drops and accidents. I realize this is not a black and white answer type of question, but am just trying to get a feel of how sensitive scope mount, rings & scope set-ups are when it comes to having a minor accident involving your rifle. On a trip, you don't always have a good place, or even want to shoot to check zero if you're in the country you're hunting. Lets assume you have a quality scope, mount, ring set-up properly mounted. Would appreciate you're sharing your experiences. Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a drop of a rifle (inside a soft case) from a pickup tailgate to the ground knock the scope off by more than a foot at a hundred yards. I've had the same drop move the zero by nary a millimeter. You won't know until you shoot it . . .

However, while I have little use for scope collimators, the little Leupold magnetic muzzle device is a handy way to check, once you arrive at your hunting destination and have questions about your scope's travel treatment, to see if the crosshairs are still in the same spot. I carry one in my hunting bag and if I feel the need will check to see if the scope is still at least theoretically pointing where it was when I left home.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOst of my guns have surface ground receivers and custom fitted bases so all is square to the world, Leupold scopes and mostly talley rings, some old steel redfield rings, thus set up they return to zero and I have 0 problems with them..I turn the knobs to the exact marked position each time the scope is removed..On the Redfields I glass set the left windage knob when sighted in so it won't move and mark the location of the release right side screw or knob..works well indeed.

Early years I had a number of problems on holding zero and lose of zero of various kinds.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Had a broken screw on a Leupold front base once that caused me some anxiety until I figured out the problem.
Had the screw extracted and bases custom bases made. Also had it rust blued while the base work was being done which resulted in some rust in the bore and went from a .75 MOA rifle to a 3 MOA rifle... but the wandering zero issue is fixed.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at a deer camp and had my rifle leaning against a post on a carpeted porch. One of the other hunters knocked it over. The point of impact changed about 4 inches. Had a guy borrow a 338 I had at an elk camp. He dropped it getting out of a scabbard and it was way off.
As a side note my 338 was borrowed because the other hunter had one of these super long range guns with a huge scope. It wouldn't fit in the scabbards provided.
I see the lazer that Jim Schockey promotes to check your rifle. If you travel much looks handy.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Atkinson's method has merit, esp. if you combine it with a still-sound old reticle-movement scope, as these have less in them that can go sour.

In any case, try to use a smallish scope with well-spaced mounts so there's less exposed tube and bell to be wrenched out of line in the case of a bump.

If you lack a collimator or the gadget Stonecreek mentioned, or ever forget to take it, become familiar with how the boresight looks in your zeroed rifle. Check it against a target, say 25 paces away, and draw a picture of where the reticle sits in relation to the target when the barrel is aligned on it. Put that drawing under the padding in your gun case or daypack and refer to it while boresighting, whenever you bump the rifle.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote