Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I am in the process of building along range rifle (tactical). I am torn between
this
Night Force NXS 5.5-22x56 or this

Leupold MARK 4 LR/T RIFLE SCOPE 8.5-25 X 50 M1 MIL DOT

What are advantages or disadvantages. Are the NF's really woth the extra dough?

I have always had Leupold man but will spare no expense....

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excellent question. I'm a stuborn old goat who's been loyal to one brand of scope for 30 years. Whats NOT to like about Nightforce? I did a search but darned if I can find anyone saying anything bad about them.

Posts: 18 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 11 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love leupolds and use them on most of my guns. However, recently I purchased a nightforce for a friend who wanted me to take it to him. The nightforce was one damn nice scope, I had a tough time handing it over to my friend when he paid me for it.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the Nightforces are worth the extra dough on a spare no expense rifle. But if you really want the VERY best you might want to look at S&B's or maybe the new Zeiss 72mm. But those are about twice the price of the NF.

One advantage to the Nightforce is that they have some really nice reticles available. Thier Mil-Dot's have see through dots which are kinda neat and some of their other reticles you might find suit you even better than a Mil-Dot.

http://nightforceoptics.com/ni...reticles_detail.html

I have the NP-R2 in one of mine and like it probably better than Mil-Dots.

If you have trouble finding the NF (or Leupold's) Gene Sears Supply in El Reno Oklahoma had a large stock of them last time I was in. Talk to BJ if you call, they are good folks................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did forget to mention that most places I called about the nightforce scope said it was a special order item and would take several weeks. Euro Optics had numerous ones in stock.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Spare no expense?
Schmidt-Bender 5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP
About $3K I have a MkIV loopy and 2 NF's and the S&B is noticeably more clear in every situation. It's on a Savage F-class in 6.5 x 284.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Nightforce and love it. I also have the NP-R2 reticle. They are one of the most durable and repeatable scopes you can buy.

Try to find a store where you can compare them side by side with other scopes. That is what I did. They let me take them outside (sales person present) and look at long ranges with them.

Some would say the disadvantage is the weight of the NF. That is not an issue with me. One thing you have to be sure is that on a high recoil rifle, you need to anchor it down. The weight works against you. The backward thrust of the recoil will drive the scope forward. Badger makes one inch wide rings (see link scroll down Max 50 Rings) and if I put it back on my 338 that is what I will use. I also use a Badger picatinny base. I love mine and have no regrets. I would buy another one.

http://www.badgerordnance.com/...tgroup.php?id=rings#

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The only thing I don't really care for about NF optics is the lighted reticle. It's too bright even on the lowest setting for late afternoon (sunset) hunting and the reticle is so thin it dissapears if you don't light it up. That said the optics are nice.

The S&B is a fine choice but at twice the price it should be. $3K for a scope just ain't happening for me.

Leupold makes a good scope for the money with lots of choices on how to set it up. They don't have the same snob appeal as some other optics but they make a very usable product.

Another one you may want to look at is the March scopes. These are the absalute clearest optics I've looked through in my entire lifetime. They use ED glass that's epoxied in, They have hand lapped turrets and start at just a couple of hundred dollars more than a NF scope. These guy's are the first to pull off a 10X magnification scope. They sell a 2.5-25X42 scope. I owned for a while and it was sweet. Very genorous eye relief and placement. I may buy another one some day.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Nightforce scopes and love them. I have several times that many Leupold scopes (Vari X, VX II, VX III, Mark 4) and love them. The Nightforce scopes are significantly larger and heavier than the Leupold scopes. If weight was not an issue, I would prefer a Nightforce scope and where it was an issue I would probably go with a Leupold.

March scopes... I've heard about them and may need to get one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
I am in the process of building along range rifle (tactical). I am torn between
this
Night Force NXS 5.5-22x56 or this

Leupold MARK 4 LR/T RIFLE SCOPE 8.5-25 X 50 M1 MIL DOT

What are advantages or disadvantages. Are the NF's really woth the extra dough?

I have always had Leupold man but will spare no expense....

The Nighforce has 100 Minuets of vertical adjustments way more than the Leupy and a much more robust scope. The NSX is tested to 1250 G's both positive and negetive a much tougher scope

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've gotta thank the guys on this forum and other places for providing the info that made me opt for Nightforce. (or maybe I should be cussin' you for the hole in my savings acct.)
I chose the 2.5 - 10 x 24 w. the NP R2 ret. after comparing light transmission of it and the 32mm to my favorite 2.5 - 8 Leupold. As far as retical choices, vert. and horiz. adjusting, etc.,they beat Mark 4s in every respect. Now if it fogs on my next sheep hunt I'll be whining but I don't think thats gonna happen.

Posts: 18 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 11 December 2009Reply With Quote