The Accurate Reloading Forums
What will they come up with next?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1421043/m/743106693

02 January 2006, 22:18
Kory
What will they come up with next?
Guys,

You gotta check this out. Its a digital scope with electronic zoom, programable recticles, and you can download ballistic data for each load. You can take pictures and even short video clips:

http://elcansportingoptics.com/intro.htm

Note: the FLASH intro play audio, so it may not be work safe or turn down your speakers.

Regards,
Kory
02 January 2006, 23:08
Fish30114
Hell Kory, if it wasn't so bulky, I'd probably try one. The other issue I noted when reviewing their specs is that it only lists a 4 hour operating time, and that's at 77 degrees. Cold weather really kills batteries! I had my rangefinder die on me in some cold weather in Kansas this year, fortunately I had already lasered the landmarks I wanted a distance to. (I also had a spare battery in my pack)
28 ounces is a bunch also. I really like the idea of the multiple reticles sighted in at different distances, and even the different styles/colors seem to have some merit to me.

All the other stuff, like BDC schedules and vid clips I could do with out, I especially don't need the bullet drop feature, if you can have several different reticles sighted in at different yardages--I might be a candidate for Generation II of this thing.

Take Care--Don
02 January 2006, 23:18
Kory
Don,

I like the downloadable ballistic information. I have a lot of different load for long range varminting on calm days, windy days, etc. I would also like to see a higher zoom that what it is capable of (16x).

You're right, the pictures and video clips I too can live without. The $1400 price tag is a little scary too. For that price, I can get a very nice Night Force.

Regards,
Kory
03 January 2006, 00:09
Rick 0311
I’m still trying to figure out how to use all the crap on my new cell phone! Smiler

Too much reliance on electronic gimmicks can cause allot of problems. 90% of our military can’t read a map or use a compass nowadays due to the introduction of GPS devices...and when they break or malfunction people stand around in confusion trying to figure out where they are or how to get from point A to point B.

I guess all these gimmicks are popular with the video-game generation...but I’ve never really found “normal†scopes/sights to be a handicap.
03 January 2006, 07:27
Fish30114
Kory, that's a good point about the BDC capabilities for different loads when serious varmint hunting is the order of the day. The chip that holds all that is not what is adding the weight though....

Four hours operating though...that would need some clarification for me, I am no big time varmint hunter myself, but I've spent 5 or 6 hours straight on a dog town, and I've sat a deer stand/blind for 10 or even 12 hours before.

Rick, that's a good point you make about technology making folks dependant on it. I would hope that basic compass and map reading skills are still a part of basic training--but I don't know that they are. I would buy a book or CD (technology again) on map reading/compass use if someone pointed me that way--ha ha--I think I'm going to do a search and make that a goal--to be able to PROPERLY navigate with a compass.

Different reticles sighted in for different distances, center hold all the time though, hmmmmmmm............