THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Recommendation for binoculars on a $800 budget

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for binoculars on a $800 budget
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
My daughter is looking for a good pair of binoculars for hunting. We hunt fairly open country, so probably something in the 10x40 range. Her budget is no more than $800. What are your recommendations?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second hand, pre-owned but cared for, older model Swarovskis. Even though not the latest and greatest glass compared to the most recent models they will be more than good enough. I would think meeting the budget is doable with an internet search. Good luck.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY and find Rochester NY made Bausch&Lomb 7x35 Zephyrs for about $200 and a sophisticated machine might be able to tell a difference in them and the very high dollar German models, but I doubt your daughter can. Plenty tough there's a bunch of 7x50's that survived ww2 and still kicking.___

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
My daughter is looking for a good pair of binoculars for hunting. We hunt fairly open country, so probably something in the 10x40 range. Her budget is no more than $800. What are your recommendations?

It would be our pleasure to discuss different options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I'd call Doug!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Leica or Swarovski. Leica (used) seems to be a bit less in cost.

Doug is a great option as well

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss and Meopta Meostars are usually the best buys on the used market. Swarovski holds their value the best, with Leica in second place(IMO). All of the above are excellent. Don't ask how I know.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be my pleasure to discuss options and opportunities with you, 516-217-1000

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My family, three of the boys are hunters, just recently gave me a new pair of 10x42 Steiner Firehawk 4.0 binoculars for my 70th birthday.

I've had a pair of 10x42 Optolyth Alpin binos since buying them in West Germany in the early 80's. These have served me well however the Steiners at NZ$1100 are heavier but rest well in the hand and give an excellent bright and very sharp field of view.
Looking into darker areas on open mountain side the Steiners do really brighten the view and make distinguishing animals from similarly colour bush or brush a breeze.
They are actually pressurised with nitrogen gas with concealed valves for repressurising in the event of repair if needed. Goes without saying they are very dust and water submerge proof.

Very happy with these new binos.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meopta is a good value. See Doug’s site

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our pleasure to discuss options and opportunities with you

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id find a pair of 8x30 Leicas for her..best power for hunting for a number of reason, along with a spotting scope of some sort..and don't over look the 7x50s..10s are too much for off hand, they jsut make big rocks bigger. Todays hunters are power mad with all optics IMO..lack of experience or too many ball games..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though glass quality is more important in binos than riflescopes, I've been well satisfied with my humble Nikon Prostaff 10x42s at less than half that price. The picture is at least better than my Bushnells and the colour is better than my old Pentax 8x30s. What I really like about the Nikons is their lack of weight - can carry them slung around my neck all day without need of additional harness.

Don't think I'm a Nikon plant - I was quite critical of aspects of their 4-16x42 Monarch in my book on scopes.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the comments about buying quality used glass.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Go to EBAY and find Rochester NY made Bausch&Lomb 7x35 Zephyrs for about $200 and a sophisticated machine might be able to tell a difference in them and the very high dollar German models, but I doubt your daughter can. Plenty tough there's a bunch of 7x50's that survived ww2 and still kicking.___

This

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that Nikon Monarchs were about the best of the lower-cost binos.

And Carpetman is right...an optical machine might be able to detect differences in clarity and light transmission between mid-priced and high-end glass, but binos aren't used by machines :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loud-n-boomer...you have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be a generous father. Or Lend her the money and have her pay you back over time. Have her get the current swarovski's. If she can take care of them over time She wont regret it.

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Tract are excellent and the best fir the money bar none. They will easily hang with the alpha's

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be a generous father. Or Lend her the money and have her pay you back over time. Have her get the current swarovski's. If she can take care of them over time She wont regret it.

+1 tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of minty Leica 8x42BN, with box, manual, original strap, ocular cover and flip up butler creek caps on the objectives. Haven't landed on a price yet, hate to sell them but I don't use them. Will post later....

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote