New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeis 4.5X14X44AO
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am putting this scope on a Savage 111 .300 win mag. I was going to use Talley mounts or a Ken Farrel base and a Weaver type ring. Does anyone know what size of rings I should get. I want to keep the scope as low as possible. The AO is on the side. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I used Talley low rings with this scope on my Kimber Pro Varmint 22-250. It cleared the barrel with enough room to wear the Zeiss scope caps. The KF base is so tall that any ring will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine scope but I question your initail choices of mounts. The Talley mounts will mark up any scope and they are a dead end in terms of options. On the other hand the Farrell base uses the universal Weaver system.

However the Farrell base is very high and heavy also. If there is some special purpose for elevation a much better system is available with Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset insert kit. These will be adjustable for both elevation and windage.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you said that. I posted awhile back asking for mount suggestions, and that is what I received. Since I have been researching the Burris rings. This combination you suggested will it work on a rifle that has had the LOP lengthened to 15". Everyone I have talked to locally said Savages are hard to get mounted because of the lenghth of the action. I am kind of green in this area. Rifle has weaver bases and rings now but with the new scope I wanted to make the best mounting choice. Thanks for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the existing rings and bases on the rifle hold the new scope over it and see if there is room on the scope tube for the rings spacing wise and if so is the eye position acceptable?

If so the Burris rings will do about the same. Keep in mind that what Weaver and Burris call a high or low ring are not the same with the lowest Signture Zee ring being about equal to a high Weaver.

Also some Weaver bases are reversable on the receiver in terms of the screw slot allowing for and aft ring placement.

Go with the very flexible Weaver attachment system in terms of the base "design" and make it work. This system includes attachments as esoteric as the Badger products.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks that makes good sense to me. That is what I will do , I can't wiat to get the whole thing put together. Thanks alot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain, one other thought, look at the Warne Rings, they make em that fit Weaver style bases, and of course make their own bases--lot's higher quality than Weaver stuff.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
The Talley mounts will mark up any scope

Only if you mount the bases improperly and overtighten the rings. They didn't mark up any of my Leupolds. The Zeiss got a faint line on top where the ring halves join because I went too crazy on the torque.