New
Find
Notify
Tools

zeiss zielacht 8x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can any one advise of realistic value for a zeiss zielacht 8x scope ..in excellent condition with original leather scope covers..has rings..not soldered on...large ring over front ring both clamp on style...ebay has listed several from 2300-3500.. condsidering selling, but, would like to determine realistic value.. any advice would ne appreciated...john..307-429-9171

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
Nick Stroebel valued the pre-war scope between $500 and$700 (plus $150 for the leather case) in 2008. I have found his valuations for American scopes fair but a bit optimistic for European ones by what I've paid on eBay. However, it may be things have picked recently and you could at least get the money mentioned above.

There is a perverse interest in scopes used by snipers in the war, though, and any with real provenance of that could be worth twice as much. I have seen minty Zeiss scopes with no holes or marks on the rails claimed to have been used by snipers. Mintiness has its own value, of course, but that claim was obviously BS.

Your scope not having a rail or soldered-on demi-rings would add value, so maybe it's worth at least $1000.

Good luck!

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the information... it's kind of unusual...mounted on a pre war model 70 winchester.....makes for a pretty heavy package....should be nice to shoor re recoil...thanks again for the response..john