Find
Notify
Tools

Is Iron sights Optics?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I need a high front sight for a Jap Win 1985. The Lyman 21 is very high. Could use 2. Any idea who makes one?

Rich

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Brownells sell Marble's beads, Rich, or you might find an old Redfield sourdough on ebay.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XS white stripe ramped blades are great. Use one on my Browning 1895 with a Marbles tang. Great on game.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I agree, BH, and the height (about .375"?) might be what Rich needs. I think they only make one height, though, and the one I got is too low to use with Marble's folding rear sight. It works well with their tang sight, however.

PS: looking back I notice you mention a ramped blade. Mine just slots into the 86 barrel's dovetail, so I assume yours is higher than that.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
XS sight listed only front and rear pairs and not for 1895.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, the Lyman #21 was and is a peep sight, did they also name a front sight the same number, unusual??

Brownells still carries the Sourdough front sight, a great sight for any receiver sight..and much better than those white stripped ones with metal onboth sides making them too thick, they cover a deer at 100 yards..Give me a Sourdough or a 3/32 bead..Just my two bits.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested, I may have fixed that problem with the Marble folding rear sight by filing about 20 thou off the bottom of the leaf-housing base and some off the back of the spring bit. The leaf has to be right down in the housing's U but I have not had to file into that so far.