Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski Z8i 0.75-6x20
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted
Unveiled at IWA 2018 last weekend is a new 'negative power' scope; interesting concept!

https://uk.swarovskioptik.com/...x20-L-4A-IF-p5458739
https://www.swarovskioptik.com...new_Z8i__rifle_scope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn01HURbE1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lPDB50eDZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lpgC1s10fg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not negative, just <1.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Not negative, just <1.

I think they designed the scope for you Biebs - your 15 yards long range shooting course dancing

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Despite my dislike of large power multiples, that concept does impress me. In fact, in my new book on scopes (printed but not officially published yet) I proposed the concept of variables beginning at less that 1x, in order to eliminate hidden-field dead ground, of concern in hunting buffalo and other social but dangerous Smiler game.

The 0.75x makes even more sense with constantly centred reticles and the fat, rubber eyepieces currently the go, than with the old technology I favor, as those modern abominations can hide a lot of country.

My suggestion did not include illumination, of course, let alone a system where the battery housing sits on top of the ocular, blocking out even more vision.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Not negative, just <1.
Thanks for the correction Biebs, you're absolutely correct Big Grin

I wonder how far this trend will go; maybe only of relevance to driven / DG hunters?

Apparently it required an impressive feat of engineering; and the first to market of such a low-level magnification.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I must admit, PD999, wondering whether wide-angle lenses within the context of a riflescope were in fact possible.

I am still a power-multiple Luddite and suggested the best ranges would be 0.75 to 2.25x or 0.9 to 2.7x. These would require only a 3x multiple but still get to the magnifications Townsend Whelen thought enough for big game out to 350 yards.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they designed the scope for you Biebs - your 15 yards long range shooting course dancing

Mike

Mikey, I like your secret to accuracy..."To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target."

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I'm confused on how that whole concept works, especially when shooting both eyes open. Is the theory that it makes the tube/ocular edge not visible?

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
No Brandon, unless Swaro have also abandoned the fat rubber eyepiece, it won't improve the field blending. What It would do is show you some at least of the country usually obscured beneath the eyepiece donut.

Yes, hunters used to shooting with both eyes open at 1x might have to rethink their expectations. As with all magnifying scopes, it will present its own issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is this scope will be "special order" for US customers. Not something you're likely to see on dealer shelves. Same goes for the DS scope. Europe only; US in 2019 - maybe. BTW, DS take 44mm rings IIRC.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
.75 magnification reduces ground shrinkage.

"Geez - it's bigger than I thought!"

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, like the side mirror on your car, you'll need to keep that in mind. On the other hand, the critters will have strange big teeth just before they deploy them Smiler

It might also calm nerves slightly, though, just as shake doesn't psych us out so much with low-powered scopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this scope was made for European market, especially for driven hunts.

Posts: 41 | Location: Romania | Registered: 08 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exacty

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain the reasoning for a 20mm objective on a 30mm tube scope. Is this not a backward step?

As for lost fields etc, look at an Aimpoint H2 or a myriad of other red dots - if you close your other eye then your view is obscured by battery housings, rubber eye rings etc ad nausea, trick is not closing the other eye.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good point, GBE, a matter of some importance above 3x. Most 30mm tubes have 24mm objectives and the glimpse we see in those Swarovski ads does not suggest an external reduction in that lens diameter.

It may be stopped down internally because of geometry problems brought by the wide-angle innovation. The only other possibility I can see is that too big an objective might cause parallax or eye damage from too much light at low magnifications. Some of the old German low-magnification fixed powers have objectives reduced to about 12 mm and their variables somehow stopped down the exit pupil to that diameter at low powers, even though the objectives indicated 20mm or more was possible. The latter situation still exists in many modern scopes, but seemingly not Nikons, for some reason.