Tools

Which scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Just bought this rifle

What scope?

Need lighted reticle. Would like at least 10X upper end reticle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.optics-trade.eu/nz...ml?___from_store=int

This is what I am putting on a .375 H&H being made for me. Never used this particular model but based on use of my other Swarovski scopes I'm confident of my choice.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sir,
Could you redo that link or tell me which scope? Can’t get link to work.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If budget is around $3k get a Swarovski Z6 or Z8.

Excellent warranty and excellent glass.

https://www.eurooptic.com/6820...x42-4A-IF-68202.aspx

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
posted 19 August 2019 13:33
Sir,

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Hunter/Conservationist

https://www.eurooptic.com/swar...black-69238-new.aspx

Sending another link for the same scope. Hope this opens for you. The reticle I have also has an illuminated circle in addition to the illuminated centre dot.
A great pairing with your new acquisition IMO.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If the question still matters, I would be looking for a good scope from the same period, which means no constantly centred reticle.

They can take some time to find but, as with hunting, that is the adventure.

The scope would need to have a post or #1 reticle, of course, and the vendor should assure you it will move out of centre if wound far enough.

I would look for a Leupold Mountaineer, Unertl Falcon or Hawk, Weaver K2.5 or K4 (or small B&L or Leupold Pioneer, if you can find fully adjustable mounts).

Not American but less time constrained could be a Zeiss, Swarovski scope made up until about 1975 or 1980, or a Kahles, Pecar or Nickel made even later. (Unertl reticle-movement scopes were also made into the '80s, of course.)

Finding mounts with lateral adjustments for such things can also be an adventure but the Leupold STD should work with American scopes and might be adapted for the steel European ones.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If it were my rifle (oh, that it were) I'd order a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm scope fitted with a fire-dot reticle from their custom shop:

https://customshop.leupold.com...116&r=22&aw=23&ae=23

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
That is likely the scope I will use.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a long time supporter on this forum it would be our pleasure to assist you with this.
Doug
516-217-1000

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The 42mm objective comes with a cost, of course. First, it is much larger than many people would have put on a .375 in 1953; needs higher mounts than ideal for a dangerous-game rifle and the large bell required to house it brings increased danger of the scope being wrenched out of whack in the event of a bump.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Lane specified an upper zoom magnification of 10X or greater. As one reduces the 42mm objective of a 10X scope smaller and smaller things start to get dimmer and dimmer. The exit pupil of a 3-9X-36mm scope is 4.0 at 9X and the exit pupil of the 2-10X-42 scope is 4.2 at 10X. I'd consider a 42mm objective the reasonable minimum for a 10X scope.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
True Grenadier, but sometimes people asking for advice start with the wrong questions. IIRC there's a member here somewhere who wants to put a 6-24x on a 416 Rigby or something like it.

Perhaps I should ask what the need for the lighted reticle is. In my Aldo Leopold concepts of conservation and fair chase, illumination is a bit like the Poly-Choke set on infinity.

PS: Make that a 4-24x for a 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sambar, it really doesn't matter why Lane wants an illuminated reticle does it? Fact is he wants one and if it makes any sense to you is irrelevant.

Lane, I would highly recommend the Meopta R2 1.7-10x42 for that scope. They are very tough, and glass doesn't take a back seat to anybody, period. There are several reticle choices as well.

https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=meostar+1.7-10x42

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Much as I hate to agree with you JG, I looked through a Meopta recently and was pleasantly surprised. It did seem a bulky scope, though, but may not have been the model you mention.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
posted 19 August 2019 13:33
Sir,

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Hunter/Conservationist

https://www.eurooptic.com/swar...black-69238-new.aspx

Sending another link for the same scope. Hope this opens for you. The reticle I have also has an illuminated circle in addition to the illuminated centre dot.
A great pairing with your new acquisition IMO.

That is exactly what I have on my my other 375...great scope and I bought it from Doug.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
https://cameralandny.com/shop/...=1243739&query=visus

This is what I went with after speaking to Doug.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal and has only a 4x power multiple. Considering the history of scope development, when it comes to power multiples, less is more.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Great choice, Lane. I had no idea those were discounted so much. Leica glass is exceptional.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for the link to that scope when I saw you had already found it. What do think of it? I have a couple ERi which I think are basically the same, I love them!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your next scope, look at the 1X-10X March with an illuminated reticle.
https://marchscopes.com/news/1568/
Another that I like is the 2.5X25
https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d25v42timl/

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have some respect for March because of their Genesis scopes but still have doubts about 10x variable multiples, considering the difficulties makers had getting beyond 3x for decades.

I wonder about the use of illumination at 10x in a scope with only a 24mm objective, too. Considering the pathetic exit pupil at high powers, I see a real chance the illumination could reduce the user's ability to see the target.

Also, I hate the mounts shown in that website, with the mount connections to the dovetail inverted to be only an inch or two apart. A good bump front or back would throw that one out no matter how many screws it has in the rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
https://cameralandny.com/shop/...=1243739&query=visus

This is what I went with after speaking to Doug.

Lane:

Please let us how you like your new scope. I bought my first
Price glass (Bino’s) and really like them. I’ve heard good things
about their scopes.

Looks like you got a great deal.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
What do you intend to use this gun for? would make a lot of difference

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote