Find
Notify
Tools

Which binocular harness are you using?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It takes me long enough to get out of camp in the morning as it is, remembering to put on all the paraphernalia for safety and good hunting. I've even sewn gaiters into my trousers to save time, so having to remember to put on a bino harness before the daypack would drive me nuts, I'm pretty sure. (How people manage Camelbaks plus daypacks is beyond my understanding.)

So, I just use the 30mm-wide strap on my light Nikon 10x42s and find that works.

However, I wonder if someone could explain exactly how those harnesses function? Does the elastic that holds the binos to your chest become a drag when you lift them to use?

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/Zgt1LLTuRlo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Cabela's chest harness. It keeps the binocular tight to the chest when bent over or crawling. It's no problem to pull the binocular to the eyes for use. I find it much better than a carry strap.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Take a look at this:

Useful video; thanks. While I once thought that these gadgets fell into the "silly" category, this tutorial has allowed me to upgrade them to "totally ludicrous". Bravo! Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the ultimate in gadgetry..There is no other way to carry binocs than the 0ne inch strap holding the binocs under the opposite arm pit half way to your belt, no neck strain.back ache etc. and the binocs will hold any position on any part of your body like on your back when crawling, under your chin whe wading, any place you need them they will stay and be comfortable..for a hundred years the African PH has carried their binocs like that unless perhaps some company is paying them to pimp their harness!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Take a look at this:

Thanks for that. I'm thinking now I might sew a fat pocket on my favorite hunting shirt to serve something like that purpose, and suspect it would be quieter.

One thing I do like is covers that slip down on the eyepieces when you let go of the binos. I could not see them working well on that KUIU harness.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the ultimate in gadgetry..There is no other way to carry binocs than the 0ne inch strap holding the binocs under the opposite arm pit half way to your belt, no neck strain.back ache etc. and the binocs will hold any position on any part of your body like on your back when crawling, under your chin whe wading, any place you need them they will stay and be comfortable..for a hundred years the African PH has carried their binocs like that unless perhaps some company is paying them to pimp their harness!!
bsflag

I've carried binos every which way, in nearly every harness out there, including the "African carry", for over 55 years. With that said, I personally like my binos tight to the chest, clean from dust, water, dirt, sand, seeds and leaves and easy to get to and put back, and ready to use again. But, in all due respect, to Ray and to everyone else and their experiences, I say each to their own. Different methods, carrying systems, attitudes and experiences. That's what makes the world spin. Carry on. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
This is the ultimate in gadgetry..There is no other way to carry binocs than the 0ne inch strap holding the binocs under the opposite arm pit half way to your belt, no neck strain.back ache etc. and the binocs will hold any position on any part of your body like on your back when crawling, under your chin whe wading, any place you need them they will stay and be comfortable..for a hundred years the African PH has carried their binocs like that unless perhaps some company is paying them to pimp their harness!! old

Unless you're wearing a pack, when this method simply won't work.

Carrying nothing except rifle and belt on a stroll from the truck, yes, it's great.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Unless you're wearing a pack, when this method simply won't work.

Carrying nothing except rifle and belt on a stroll from the truck, yes, it's great.

Yep, that's what I was getting at years ago when this thread first started. It's difficult to have a bino near your waist or swinging off your neck while trying to wear a hunting pack with waist belt and sternum strap. Heck, I don't even wear a belt and knife; all that stuff is on/in the pack or the chest rig.

In the areas I hunt, I rarely go without my Exo Mountain Gear pack. I may be miles from the truck and have to be prepared to quarter out the critter and pack it out right then and there. Done that a lot. For that style of hunting, I have found no better option than the chest rig, in case the AGC that I posted about and am still using. Combined with pouches for rangefinder, GPS, and a few other gimmicky pieces of gear, I have all I need readily available. When I do drop the pack for a stalk, I keep that gear handy. And when I strap on a backpack full of deer meat, the chest rig still stays nice and tight and out of the way.

Buglemintoday - thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad that piece of gear still works for you. I think I've had mine now for about 5 years and it still looks and functions like new.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote