Notify
Tools

Best low light optics??????????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter die 4de:

The most important aspect is the quality of coatings to minimize reflections.
Also, every lense reflect light by a certain percentage on both sides.

7mm is the maximum that the eye can utilize at night time and 3mm in broad daylight.

Pieter

Yes, each lens the light passes through will reduce light transmission by some percentage. Variable scopes generally have one more lens than fixed power scopes which is why (all things being equal, which they never are) that a fixed power scope has a theoretical advantage in light transmission.

Seven millimeters is often cited as the typical maximum diameter to which a human eye's iris will dilate in darkness. Of course, this varies with individuals. However, this maximum dilation is typical of people who are under 40 years of age and have never smoked (or suffered other environmental issues impacting the eyes.) Most male shooters in the 50+ category cannot utilize a full 7mm exit pupil. A large exit pupil does make the sight picture easier to acquire, but it won't make it any "brighter" if your eye's dilation is smaller than the exit pupil.

In other words, if you don't see well in the dark because your two pack-a-day habit has left you with pupils which will only dilate to 5mm, then you are just as well off with an 8x40 glass as an 8x56 glass.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I have top end Ziess, U.S. optics, Meopta and S&B I have also compared them to leupolds although not every leupold and I find that in good light there are a few that compare favorably with S&B but fall behind in low light, which is what the OP asked.

John Barsness' optics reviews and ratings would tell a different story. There are several makers that scored just as well as S&B in his own tests. You'll never get a consensus tough, as individual eyeballs make the difference.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
I have top end Ziess, U.S. optics, Meopta and S&B I have also compared them to leupolds although not every leupold and I find that in good light there are a few that compare favorably with S&B but fall behind in low light, which is what the OP asked.

John Barsness' optics reviews and ratings would tell a different story. There are several makers that scored just as well as S&B in his own tests. You'll never get a consensus tough, as individual eyeballs make the difference.

I do my own tests and do the scopes together in low light outside at near 500. Just like I'd be doing if hunting. In trees overcast and shadows it makes a huge difference which scope one uses. The coatings need to enhance the blue light spectrum for best low light performance.

I believe my eyes much more than what someone else tells me. I suggest other do the same.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do my own tests and do the scopes together in low light outside at near 500. Just like I'd be doing if hunting. In trees overcast and shadows it makes a huge difference which scope one uses. The coatings need to enhance the blue light spectrum for best low light performance.

I believe my eyes much more than what someone else tells me. I suggest other do the same.

Roger that....which is why I posted this........brand biases play a big role as well IMO.

quote:

I've had the luxury to host many hunter over the past 13 years. Several of them have shown up with S&B's mounted. We always take our rifle with us as a back up and it wore a VXII for a while, and now a VX3. When hunting big mule deer bucks, there has never been a time when you could shoot a buck with the S&B that you couldn't also shoot with the Leupy, including last legal shooting light. Are the Leupy's optically as good, no, but they're plenty good enough. The Meopta, Monarch 3, and Conquest are too. I used to think I needed a high $$$ Euro to kill stuff, but experience has proven that theory wrong, at least to me.

I've also found it very interesting that out of these 120 or so hunters, probably 75% of them show up with a Swaro binocular of some sort, and Leupold scope. Most of them have the means to buy whatever they want.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Not so with me as my brand loyalty for decades had been Leupold actual performance changed my preference.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
For whatever it`s worth, my walkabout rifle (Weatherby MK V, 30-06) has a Zeiss Victory 2,5-10x50.
It is a great compromise scope wich handle dusk and dawn, as well as daytime timber or brush hunting.

Another good candidate is Leica ER 2,5-10x42, sold at Eurooptics for a good price.
http://www.eurooptic.com/leica...bdc-rifle-scope.aspx

Leica has exellent optics, 4" eye relief, and is as good as it gets in this class.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I've somewhat resisted getting into this conversation as I think the topic has been beaten to death both here and elsewhere on the web.

Still, I come back to the truth as I perceive it. Most tests are done on paper with lines and writing. Which is the foundation of the real problem with the test. That's a high contrast situation and while it may give some sense of an absolute limit, it's a limit constrained by an artificial world.

The real test is how well does a scope make out a game animal in near darkness. I'm always constantly amazed at how well deer hide in broad daylight - that duff color of their hides blends in so perfectly to their surroundings.

IF the purpose of the scope is to permit aiming at a specific kill zone (vitals, shoulder, behind the shoulder), then the real test of the scope needs to be how well it resolves that animals kill zone.

This is where I think the scope makers start to differentiate themselves. The brightest scope one finds at the gun shop may, in fact, not be the best at resolving duff tone game animals in a forest setting. That might be a scope with a different set of coatings that actually creates more contrast with the background.

Two stories to help here:

1. I remember my first pig - he came out very, very late on a ranch. Had it not been for the black pig standing on a light tan road, there would never have been enough contrast to see him in my Leopold VX3 2.5-8 scope. As it was, I had to use the edge duplex to figure out where the center of the scope was since the black duplex reticle completely vanished into the black hide.

2. A wonderful buck came out at nearly last light in medium high duff colored grass. I saw his antlers and eyes first at 160 yards, the rest of his body blending into the background. It was surreal. The Leica ER 2.5-10 scope came up and the rest of his body immediately "popped" into focus - what I couldn't' really see with the naked eye stood out with confidence in the scope due to the coatings. A 300 gr. Partition from my .375 H&H put him down so fast I thought I missed. It took 15 minutes to find that buck in the tall grass. He went straight down and never moved and I literally tripped over him before I found him.

My point is this: one of the major selling points of a scope is how it works in the shop you're buying it at. Don't think for a minute that the scope makers aren't considering the effect of fluorescent lights on their coatings in the store. Of course they are. That's part of what sells the scope.

For my money, the most effective low light scopes I've used are made by Leica with either the #4 or #1 reticle. The game animals just pop better.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
PS: forgot to add, how much of the scope's effectiveness is driven off of perception? If one "thinks" the scope is better, then it breeds confidence which in turn leads one to have better success.

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first riflescope for a centerfire rifle in 1965, a Leupold Vari-X 3-9. At that time no one in my part of the country knew anything about or used anything other than a Weaver. My Weaver-using friends were startled at the difference in "brightness" (clarity and resolution, actually) of my Leupold in comparison with their Weavers. Appropriately, it also cost about 1.5 times what their Weavers did. I still own and use that Leupold.

Fast forward fifty years. There are now scopes on the market which excellent eyes or sensitive light meters can demonstrate provide marginally better resolution than the run-of-the-mill Leupold. But the difference in resolution between those scopes and the Leupold is infinitesimal compared to that fifty years ago between the Leupold and the Weaver. However, the price differential to achieve that difference is often 3X, 4X, or even more that of the Leupold while the improvement in resolution you're buying is, in percentage, only fractional. And the physical (size, weight) and optical (eye placement) tradeoffs to achieve that tiny improvement in resolution exact costs in other very real and practical applications of the scope.

It's a bit like whether you shoot a whitetail with a .300 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby. It is only the owner of the gun (or scope) who perceives a difference.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And this may just be the reason why Leupold's 3-9x40 mm scope may be the best selling scope of all time in the US - it appeals to the masses at an affordable price.

Pieter

Posts: 1045 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Interesting developments in this discussion. Thinking of the maximum exit pupil size, the Europeans used to see some point in the 4x81 (ie the 4x36 scope expressed as to the relative luminosity given by the 9mm exit pupil).

However, they were reluctant to have them much bigger and would use very small objectives for low-powered scopes, almost half the 21mm lens that would fit in the 26mm unbelled barrel. When it came to variables, they would somehow stop down the objective to prevent the exit pupil getting more than about 10 or 12mm as the power was wound down.

Does anyone know how or why that stopping-down was done? Is it just a natural consequence of scrolling erector lenses back or was it engineered to save users from parallax and possible eye damage? Did the American makers do the same?

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good policy tu2

Pieter

Posts: 1045 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
This is just my opinion, not held by many, but I think the truly responsible hunter should not shoot at game less than 1/2 hour before sunset.

Therefore, no need to buy real expensive scopes that let you shoot in the dark.

But each to his own.

Yes, and as rnovi reminds us, finding a dead animal can be hard enough at last light; a wounded one is much more likely to be lost.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Does anyone know how or why that stopping-down was done? Is it just a natural consequence of scrolling erector lenses back or was it engineered to save users from parallax and possible eye damage? Did the American makers do the same?

I can only assume that the stopping down was to increase the depth of focus. Burris offered its very highest end scope, the Signature line, with two adjustment rings on the objective. One was the usual parallax adjustment, and the other was a camera-style stop down iris. It was supposed to be stopped down for daylight use, and opened fully for low-light use. The only advantage I can see in stopping it down would be to allow the scope to be in focus from very close to infinity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think back as a kid, when Bill Weaver was the king of the hill for scopes..None of us at the ranch had ever owned a scope and Bill and Jack O'Connor hunted on our ranch for the Coues and Mule deer..that Christmas we all got a 2.5X scope from Bill..I used that old 2.5X until it turned white from saddle carry and the cross hair was down in the lower quarter of the scope..

I never lost a deer because of it is lack of light gathering!, nor with the upgrades that followed..They were not the best scope in cold weather Idaho however and Leupold became my choice of scope..Again in my rather broad hunting carreer I never lost a deer for low light problems..

IMO, a scope is nothing more than a window with an X in it and if you put that X on the target, even blured or out of focus, your going to kill the animal if you can shoot and your gun is sighted in...

$1000 scopes are for suckers and those that choose all things based on price..I still buy used variX 2 Leupolds, old 3X Leupolds, and have never had a complaint. old sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
$1000 scopes are for suckers and those that choose all things based on price..I still buy used variX 2 Leupolds, old 3X Leupolds, and have never had a complaint. old sofa

Well, by our definition Atkinson I`m a sucker.

But with all respect, you seem to have a rather peculiar way of looking at what low light hunting is all about, and what kind of scopes are most suited for the task.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:...$1000 scopes are for suckers and those that choose all things based on price..I still buy used variX 2 Leupolds, old 3X Leupolds, and have never had a complaint. old sofa

Wow! You must have an well established clientele base who all use scopes costing less than $1000.00. I know if I ever decide to pay for a hunt I won't be calling you.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
I looked in the back end of various variables in case I could see such a diaphragm but to no avail.

And yes, Atkinson, I think it is a dangerous mistake to expect a scope to be a substitute for binos. Better to do your hunting before raising the rifle. There was a time when I would pay more to get stronger, more-honest mechanicals but that time was some time ago.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I think back as a kid, when Bill Weaver was the king of the hill for scopes..None of us at the ranch had ever owned a scope and Bill and Jack O'Connor hunted on our ranch for the Coues and Mule deer..that Christmas we all got a 2.5X scope from Bill..I used that old 2.5X until it turned white from saddle carry and the cross hair was down in the lower quarter of the scope..

I never lost a deer because of it is lack of light gathering!, nor with the upgrades that followed..They were not the best scope in cold weather Idaho however and Leupold became my choice of scope..Again in my rather broad hunting carreer I never lost a deer for low light problems..

IMO, a scope is nothing more than a window with an X in it and if you put that X on the target, even blured or out of focus, your going to kill the animal if you can shoot and your gun is sighted in...

Ray - Let me respectfully disagree. I do a lot of deer hunting South Carolina where you can legally shoot an hour before sunrise till and hour after sunset. Those first and last 10 minutes of legal shooting time are pretty dark. In my 23 years of hunting in SC, I have invited many guests to hunt with me who were good hunters with good gear - like Leupold VX-3 scopes. I love Leupold scopes, and I own several. They are the best choice for most places to hunt in North America combining great optics with rugged construction. However, they do not measure up to my Swarovski scopes I use (and need if I am going to be successful) for those first and last 10 minutes of hunting in SC. On at least 5 different occasions, guests of mine have turned down my offer of a loan of a Cooper rifle with a Swarovski scope mounted on top. They boldly stated their Leupold scopes were all they needed. In each case, they had an alpha buck come out at last light, and they could not pick them up in their Leupold scopes......and they missed a chance at the buck of a lifetime. I guess I am a sucker by your definition.......but you might change your mind if you hunted the rut with me in SC......or if you ever hunted leopard on private land in Zimbabwe. When that red spotlight comes on, you want the best optics you can buy....you have about 3-5 seconds to make your hunt a success or failure. Do you really want a less capable scope in those circumstances?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Definitely some different "views" on low light scopes.

Ya, I'm a sucker too by the $1000 definition. By some of the comments, here one would not be out hunting at all because most animals are very early/late movers or nocturnal. For deer, 1 1/2 hours prior and after sunset is the law, and all night for boar.

I have several Leupolds, great scopes, but they don't favorably compare with the big boys when you're really talking low, very low light. Illuminated Dots are really a great big help, on all scopes. Reduces the need for thick crosshairs, although a Nr 4 is still tops for night hunting.

Also depends on background, big difference between dark woods vs. cut wheatfield with stubble.

Naa, for genuine low light gotta stay with the Swaro/Zeiss camp, and this is long before and after the 1/2 hour before/after sunrise/sunset Wink

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe my eyes might make a small difference in the rankings on John's scale, but as a whole I believe he's correct. When I add my big Henny to the comparison there is no doubt it is the best passive low-light scope available. To beat it you'd need some form of electronically enhanced Night Vision.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Swarovski
2. Zeiss
3. S & B
4. Who cares....

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
1. Swarovski
2. Zeiss
3. S & B
4. Who cares....

Those that actually use them in low light care.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To illustrate with a pic. Sorry for poor quality..

Blaser R8.

3 Scopes.

Fast action / Short range = Aimpoint
General Day hunting = Leupold 3-9x40
Lowlight Hunting = Swarovski 3-12x56

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
1. Swarovski
2. Zeiss
3. S & B
4. Who cares....

I do.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Dear Goldeneye,
please submit new pic. When discussing the merits of optical quality, we want to see every detail, place every product and measure the todger of any bee that lands on it Wink

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I was floored when I compared a new $100 Busnell 3x9 to one of my old weaver k/t10. The bushy was quite a bit better/brighter/clearer

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I bought my first riflescope for a centerfire rifle in 1965, a Leupold Vari-X 3-9. At that time no one in my part of the country knew anything about or used anything other than a Weaver. My Weaver-using friends were startled at the difference in "brightness" (clarity and resolution, actually) of my Leupold in comparison with their Weavers. Appropriately, it also cost about 1.5 times what their Weavers did. I still own and use that Leupold.

Fast forward fifty years. There are now scopes on the market which excellent eyes or sensitive light meters can demonstrate provide marginally better resolution than the run-of-the-mill Leupold. But the difference in resolution between those scopes and the Leupold is infinitesimal compared to that fifty years ago between the Leupold and the Weaver. However, the price differential to achieve that difference is often 3X, 4X, or even more that of the Leupold while the improvement in resolution you're buying is, in percentage, only fractional. And the physical (size, weight) and optical (eye placement) tradeoffs to achieve that tiny improvement in resolution exact costs in other very real and practical applications of the scope.

It's a bit like whether you shoot a whitetail with a .300 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby. It is only the owner of the gun (or scope) who perceives a difference.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the best lowlight scopes I've had, and I ended up collecting several, were the Bausch and Lomb Balvar 1.5-6x36 and then later the 1.75-6x36 4200 series which were dropped from the line. Not as nice as the early ones as they stretched the tube a bit and made them as large as a standard 3-9. At low power they are still some of the brightest scopes I've used and ideal for any Midwest whitetail rifle and I use them on my predator calling rifles too as I haven't found anything better for nighttime calling in this area.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I've seen the above argument posted in one form or another for the last 15 years. People who either don't have the means to purchase an Alpha-tier scope, or people who just refuse to spend the money on a truly remarkable optical product feel the need to attempt to convince everyone that the difference between a Leupold and a Schmidt & Bender/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Swarovski is really nothing more than the biased opinions of Schmidt & Bender/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Swarovski owners. Optically the Schmidt & Bender/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Swarovski scopes are easily distinguished from the under $1000.00 Leupolds, and the alpha-tier scopes are more rugged, and their adjustments are more reliable and repeatable. Now, Leupold has the Mark 6 scopes and the Mark 8 scopes. The Mark 8 scopes cost every bit as much as the Schmidt & Bender/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Swarovski scopes. I haven't had the oportunity to use a Leupold Mark 8 scope, but if they are as good optically as the Leupold Mark 6 scopes then Leupold has finally listened to the shooters and produced a world class optic.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
True, Magnumdood, but spare a thought for considerations of the law of diminishing returns and getting what we really need, rather than something that just feeds our egos.

As an analogy, a Mercedes Benz might be 10 per cent better than a Ford Falcon of the same size, yet cost twice as much. A Farari might go twice as fast but, when you have a 110kmh speed limit, all the sports car does is suggest to people you are a criminal who not only speeds but has access to ill-got gains.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The OP posed the question, "Best low light optics??????????????" He did not ask, "Best low light optics for the money?", "Best low light optics under $300?", "Best low light optics before you reach a diminishing return of 10% gain after paying an additional 50%?", or "Best low light optics that are almost as good as THE BEST low light optics?".

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, Magnumdood, but spare a thought for considerations of the law of diminishing returns and getting what we really need, rather than something that just feeds our egos.

As an analogy, a Mercedes Benz might be 10 per cent better than a Ford Falcon of the same size, yet cost twice as much. A Farari might go twice as fast but, when you have a 110kmh speed limit, all the sports car does is suggest to people you are a criminal who not only speeds but has access to ill-got gains.

It is beyond laughable to suggest that people who own the best scopes available are potential criminals because they chose to buy the best optics possible. Those who suggest they are criminals would seem to be those who want such optics, but can't afford them; you know, sour grapes. The other group can afford such optics, but refuse to buy them. Since they refuse to buy and use those optics, they unreasonably conclude that no one else needs them either so the alpha optic users must have impure motives for using alpha tier optics. Like I said - beyond laughable.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
No, Magnumdood, I do not suggest the owners of Fararis are necessarily crooks, or even spivs, simply that people are likely to assume they are, whereby their efforts at self-aggrandisement may fail.

I don't think you should take my analogy too far, simply to the point that buying the absolute bee's knees in expensive products may not constitute good value unless you have specialised purposes.

I would not assume the hunter with a big-objective European scope had sinister intent unless I found him in a blind after dark, in a wildlife sanctuary.

posted Hide Post
quote:
No, Magnumdood, I do not suggest the owners of Fararis are necessarily crooks, or even spivs, simply that people are likely to assume they are, whereby their efforts at self-aggrandisement may fail.

Your view of the world must be one of uncomfortable jealousy of those that possess more material things than you. But, you seek to salve the hurt by imagining that everyone else feels the same way you feel - people with some nice material possessions bought those possessions for the sole reason of showing off to their peers.

quote:
I don't think you should take my analogy too far, simply to the point that buying the absolute bee's knees in expensive products may not constitute good value unless you have specialised purposes.

Who cares why your neighbor, or my hunting partner decided to drop a large sum of cash on top tier optics? It's not any of your business why your fellow sportsmen use the equipment they use as long as they can take game humanely with it.

quote:
I would not assume the hunter with a big-objective European scope had sinister intent unless I found him in a blind after dark, in a wildlife sanctuary.

There's a group of specialized peace officers in the United States called Game Wardens, both State and Federal, whose job it is is to find and arrest those individuals breaking the game laws. As a deputy in Texas, I often found myself helping the Game Wardens execute their duties. The firearms the poachers used in the County in which I worked were utilitarian (cheap) rifles with, for the most part, cheap optics. To make up for the lack of optics they carried handheld spotlights to light up their prey so they could see them to shoot them. Out of the 50 (give or take a few either way) I never saw a scope that was even close to an expensive European scope. A wildlife sanctuary would be the LAST place a poacher would shoot a game animal illegally. Wildlife sanctuaries not only are patrolled and protected by local law enforcement and Game Wardens, they have their own security force whose sole job is to protect the animals in the sanctuary. No, poachers wouldn't need, or want want, a wildlife sanctuary; they'd pick the darkest, least traveled area of the county to attempt to take game illegally. With regard to a poacher being in a blind...you must be kidding. A poacher voluntarily secluding himself in an enclosed blind indicates to me you're not familiar with poachers (which is good, unless you're a peace officer). They shoot from the road, retrieve their game quickly, and speed from the area in an attempt to elude law enforcement. People report shots after dark...especially shots that sound like they came from a hgh-powered rifle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnumdood:
quote:

Your view of the world must be one of uncomfortable jealousy of those that possess more material things than you. But, you seek to salve the hurt by imagining that everyone else feels the same way you feel - people with some nice material possessions bought those possessions for the sole reason of showing off to their peers.

quote:

Who cares why your neighbor, or my hunting partner decided to drop a large sum of cash on top tier optics? It's not any of your business why your fellow sportsmen use the equipment they use as long as they can take game humanely with it.

quote:

There's a group of specialized peace officers in the United States called Game Wardens, both State and Federal, whose job it is is to find and arrest those individuals breaking the game laws. As a deputy in Texas, I often found myself helping the Game Wardens execute their duties. The firearms the poachers used in the County in which I worked were utilitarian (cheap) rifles with, for the most part, cheap optics. To make up for the lack of optics they carried handheld spotlights to light up their prey so they could see them to shoot them. Out of the 50 (give or take a few either way) arrests I either made, or assisted the local Game Warden in making, I never saw a scope that was even close to an expensive European scope - in fact, they were all P.O.S..

A wildlife sanctuary would be the LAST place a poacher would shoot a game animal illegally. Wildlife sanctuaries not only are patrolled and protected by local law enforcement and Game Wardens, they also have their own security force whose sole job is to protect the animals in the sanctuary. No, poachers wouldn't need, or want, a wildlife sanctuary; they'd pick the darkest, least traveled area of the county to attempt to take game illegally. With regard to a poacher being in a blind...you must be kidding. A poacher voluntarily secluding himself in an enclosed blind indicates to me you're not familiar with poachers (which is good, unless you're a peace officer). They shoot from the road, retrieve their game quickly, and speed from the area in an attempt to elude law enforcement. People report shots after dark...especially shots that sound like they came from a hgh-powered rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
If You are talking on lowlight optics, You should think about Swarovski - nothing gives you such a brilliant and detailed Image on a scope, is reliable and has the best lowlight visibility of a classic scope (not night-Vision!)

I heard that about Swarovski so I bought one and was pretty dissapointed and sold it. Besides the Swarovski, I've used Nightforce and Leupold scopes. The Leupold Mark 4 scopes are better than the other two.

I do get to use them at night, by the way. When I have nuisance permits, I can shoot until midnight.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, Magnumdood, I guess you've proved it all with algebra, though by wildlife sanctuaries I mean them generically, to include certain national parks here that are anything but closely guarded.

The reason I don't spend megabucks on modern scopes is because I think the very concept of image-movement is rubbish, after which the Continental high ground was abandoned. I love German and Austrian scopes and have about two dozen, all bar two made before the decadence.

I was going to put a Swarovski Z6 1-6 on my Heym .450/.400 but begrudged paying them more to mount it than the scope cost.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
wow, this thread has devolved rather quickly...

Regards,

Robert

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, Magnumdood, I guess you've proved it all with algebra, though by wildlife sanctuaries I mean them generically, to include certain national parks here that are anything but closely guarded.

The reason I don't spend megabucks on modern scopes is because I think the very concept of image-movement is rubbish, after which the Continental high ground was abandoned. I love German and Austrian scopes and have about two dozen, all bar two made before the decadence.

I was going to put a Swarovski Z6 1-6 on my Heym .450/.400 but begrudged paying them more to mount it than the scope cost.

The only thing I proved was, no matter the outdoor web site, if there is an optics forum it will at some point spawn a thread that gets derailed and becomes filled with unprovable, contentious posts - I include myself in that as one of the major provocateurs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can assure you Sambarman that our low light and night time hunting for red deer and boar do not take place in a sanctuary.

In my neck of woods, high end European scopes are the norm and not the exeption.
Reason is the nocturnal red deer and boars, just as simple as that.

Arild Iversen.