New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a CZ 550 in 458 Lott and am looking to put some sort of optics on it. I wanted a Trijicon RM green dot but the CZ is not tapped to accept the Piccadilly mounts. Any suggestions for a scope that will hold up to the recoil of the Lott.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Wayne at AHR. He makes a mount that fits the factory front dovetail that will adapt an RMR.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Ultra light fixed power 2.5x20mm

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,
I'm eventually going to put this one on my .416 Rem Mag.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en...oduct3.php?pid=TR24R

From what I've read, guys will zero the rifle on the top point of the triangle. Then it's a matter of point and shoot.

For CZ 550 rings, I like the Warne Quick Detach.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, will check it out.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Where are you Atkinson? IIRC you would see only the Leupold Compact 2.5x as being up to this task. Personally, I'd be scouring the internet for an old reticle-movement Zeiss/Hensoldt or Nickel Supra of very low power.

There is an Australian/Japanese Brand called Nightforce that claims their scopes can stand 4000-plus shots from 50BMG and bigger calibres but I am not wrapped in their tactical-type reticles.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gone to just putting a ghost ring in my rear Talley base and using an oversize bead front sight. Can't afford any more scopes.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold M8-3X is no longer in the Leupold line up, but was the consummate big bore scope. Wide FOV, generous eye relief, and I never heard of one being damaged by recoil. Last I knew they were still available as new scopes through the Leupold Custom Shop. If that source is dried up I'd search Gunbroker and ebay for one.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wide FOV, generous eye relief, and I never heard of one being damaged by recoil. Last

I have one of these scopes and the reticle broke while it was mounted on my Ruber 10/22. Prior to that the scope hadn't been on any gun larger than a .308 win. Leupold took care of the reticle problem.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Broken reticles might be problem with any scope, except possibly those with etched graticules or spider-web 'cross hairs'. I have heard of one being knocked out of an old reticle-movement Kahles Helia Super, but I used one for more than three decades with no reticle problems and thought it a very tough scope.

Black-widow webs may be stronger than any silk made by man but I guess if your glue was dodgy, they could come loose, too.

Even etched graticules could have a downside in that every lens surface exposed to air or gas supposedly costs 1% of the scope's light transmission - coatings mitigate this but two more surfaces won't help. Also, I guess there is some chance that glass might break, too, esp. once compromised by etching.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the Ruger RSM 458 Lott w/ Leupold's 2.5x Ultra Lite scope on it for quite a while and never had any problem with it. Had Leupold put in the German post reticle and quick on target with that set up.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris signature zee rings are awesome on weaver bases .The plastic incerts take the shock of the recoil instead of the scope .They are on all my 416s and held up on my 7.5 pound 416 awesome!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Can you replace those plastic inserts regularly? I only ask because the situation reminds me a bit of cushioned lenses. Lyman used to think cushioned lenses were a great idea but Bausch & Lomb and Unertl warned such things could compress and allow lenses to move, causing parallax.

Obviously, your inserts won't do that but if they absorb shock we must assume that over time they will weaken and move your zero.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only scope I would even consider is the tough little Leupold compact variable on a 458 Lott..The Lott has snappy recoil even more so than some of the 50s IMO...but those really big bores IMO are short range DG calibers and I prefer them with a peep or receiver sight..If you have old eyes get a pair or glasses!!

A .416 or 375 will work with any quality scope, the 458 and up eat scopes of all kinds, and they ain't particular on brand or model..The nay sayers that praise other scopes as their big ole guns shoot fine with them, problem is they don't shoot them enough to know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote