New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold goldring binocs 10X42
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, I was wondering what you think of Leupold's Goldring 10X42 binoculars. I havent been able to find any around here to evaluate.
Someone here must have them or have compared them to others. I would appreciate all your observations and opinions.

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with them, but I've read the view through them is good. Maybe not as good as Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, or the Nikon Venturer/LX's, but more on par with the Pentax DCF SP's, Leupold Pinnacles, etc.

The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind when reading about the new Leupold Gold Rings is their weight. They're the heaviest roof prism (42mm) on the market and weigh even more than the old style Nikon Venturers.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:
No personal experience with them, but I've read the view through them is good. Maybe not as good as Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, or the Nikon Venturer/LX's, but more on par with the Pentax DCF SP's, Leupold Pinnacles, etc.

The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind when reading about the new Leupold Gold Rings is their weight. They're the heaviest roof prism (42mm) on the market and weigh even more than the old style Nikon Venturers.

They must be bricks if they outweigh those nikons. Buster, have you looked at the new elites yet, they look almost like the EL's I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
They are not as good as their price tag would indicate. For $300 or so extra, you would have a pair of Swaorvski SLC. For an extra $150 or so, you would have a pair of Kahles. The golden rings don't have the low light performance of the Saworvski's or Kahles, but they have 80-90% of the price tag.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Swarovskis and Leicas are still better. Zeiss too. Be careful of the field of view as they always seem to be substantially narrower than the european binocs. And this is coming from a guy with Leupold scopes on all his big game rifles.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:

They must be bricks if they outweigh those nikons. Buster, have you looked at the new elites yet, they look almost like the EL's I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

Nope, haven't seen the new Elite's in person. I imagine they're alright, but I wouldn't spend what they want for them, or the new Goldrings for that matter. I'd wager the SP's are every bit as good and are half the price.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies.

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote