New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Victory FL's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to get some opinions on these, particularly the 8x32's, since I've looked at the Swarovski EL's and the Leica ultravids in the 8x32. I like the EL's better than the Ultravids because of the wider FOV and the ergonomics, but don't like them because their longer, heavier, and don't have lockable eyecups. I have not seen the Zeiss FL's yet but they have the same FOV as the EL's, they're shorter, they're lighter, and have the lockable eyecups. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned both the Zeiss FL 8x32s and the Swaro EL 8x32s. To get right to the point, I still own the Zeiss-the Swaros went down Ebay lane. I personally liked the Zeiss better from every aspect, although I'm sure you'll find others with exactly the opposite opinion. This summer I spent a lot of time comparing my Zeiss to my PH's Swaro 8.5x42. I'm not going to say the Zeiss were better-simple physics is going to intervene between the Zeiss and the bigger Swaros. However, the differences, even in low light conditions, were vanishingly small, and I felt pretty good about going with the smaller pair. I personally hate binocular bras, so the smaller weight and size are meaningful for me. YMMV.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both Zeiss Classic 10x40 and EL 10x42's, the EL's are a good bit better than the Classics and better then the 10x40 FL's I looked through.
In the 8x30's however I prefered the Zeiss FL's. I spent a good deal of time comparing them side by side with UltraVid and EL 8x32's and were IMHO the best of the mid sized. They are probably the next binoculars I will buy. Doug from Cameraland over on 24hr Campfire shot me a good price on them, IIRC it was in the early 1100's.
The Ultravids were the best of the small binoculars I looked through - go figure.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug from Cameraland over on 24hr Campfire

DJ - Where can I find Doug exactly?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cameralandny.com/index.cfm?pid=5_cmpfr&pr_ct=153

Ask for Doug and tell him DjPaintless refered you.. Cool....DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot djpaintles. I went to Bass Pro Shops today to look at and compare again the 3 premium binoculars mentioned earlier and you're right. I did like the Zeiss much better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say anything about the 8 x 32s, but I can tell you that I sold off my Leica 10 X 42 Ultravids and went with the 10 X 42 Zeiss Fls and I am very very happy with them. I paid $1300 for them new, and when I compared them with the Swarovski Els that were $1700 I just couldn't justify another $500 for the Els when my eyes couldn't see any difference.

I hated the Leicas. The quality was there but the ergonomics were terrible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL's from the Optic Zone for $1,189. Can't wait to get them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. It was Optic Spot (http://www.opticsspot.com)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dthfrmbv,

You had me nervous. I was starting to panic looking for your order. bewildered

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jon. Honestly, I thought I ordered from your store, but when I checked the invoice it said Optics Spot. That is why I editted my post. Who's nervous now???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I wish you did place the order with us, but hey you can not get them all. By the way, we sell them for $1190 also with free shipping.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 10x42's from B&H and only had them on one hunt but I am very impressed. I still like my other Leica's but the Zeiss's are a lot brighter and lighter to boot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote