Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinding binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I have used the vortex furies for a short period of time. They seem to be good. I'm looking at them the sig sauer, Nikons and bushnells. I know that rangefinding binos can get pricey quick. I would appericate any advise yall can offer.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just got in a couple of demo Geovid HD-B 8x42 Binocular #40047 which are only $1,299.99. If 8x's would work for you I think you'll find these to be quite high quality

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I'll check on your site . I would love to have a pair. What is there warranty and service like?

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica gives a 1 year warranty on Geovid demos

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I would love to have them but a little to pricey right now. They will probably be gone by the time I can buy them. what do you know about the sig sauer BDX 3000. I found a pair for $876.00. What kind of reputation for durability and service do they have.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that price point the nikons are the clear winner. I would suggest you save up a little and buy the Liecas from doug. Although getting Lieca to warranty something can sometimes be spotty. But they are better than the others you mentioned.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Nikon's and Sig so far, but it is quite evident that they are all made in the same Chinese factory. I have only looked through the Vortex Fury's in the parking lot of Cabelas. They all have virtually identical optics, IMO they are adequate but nothing special. The RF is fastest in the Sig, and that is quite impressive. The circle reticle in the Sig I bought didn't line up with the actual laser beam, so I sent them back. Also, the Sig and Fury both seem to have "wandering" diopters that don't want to stay set. They need readjusting quite frequently.

I also owned the Geovid HDB (403 model)briefly. The first problem I had was attempting to register the warranty with Leica's pathetic customer service. The online portal they require you to use for registration wasn't working at the time. I talked to a lady named Barbara at Leica and she said the would get them registered for me. That never happened, and they quit answering my repeated inquiries as to why. Nevertheless, I used them for about 2 weeks, and when the temps got around freezing, the RF wouldnt range beyone 250-300 yds, and was very slow. I wound up selling them to a guy in S. TX who was aware of the issues but since he said he lived in a very warm climate he'd deal with it.

To me, your choice is to deal with the very expensive Leica Geovid and their "iffy" customer service (that's putting it nicely IMO), or buying the Fury that has OK optics, a good RF, and lifetime warranty. I'm not a Vortex fan, but would likely buy Vortex since they will stand by them unconditionally, forever, and have great customer service. Eventually you'll have trouble with electronics, and it's nice to know they'll take care of it.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the OP,
It seems my experience with just about everything on this site from bullets to rangefinders has been totally opposite to those who report on this site.
I have both the Leica 10x42 rangefinder (bought in late 2004) and the Sig binocular rangefinder bought in 2019. I bought the Sig as a backup to the Leica. Many years ago one of the adjustable diopters froze and i could not adjust it for clarity. I tolerated it until this year prior to hunting season. I finally sent them back to Leica with a note detailing the problem. I also had noticed that the laser was getting slower and slower to read and that the laser worked less and less in bright sunshine. I detailed this information to Leica. I told them to please fix the problems and let me know the cost. In approximately 4-6 weeks i had them back. The diopter was replaced and now worked perfectly. The laser appeared to have been replaced and worked much better and i noticed some small lines underneath the distance reading. Those lines had not been there previously. Leica sent a repair notice of what they fixed but the laser part wasnt mentioned. Also there was no cost to me in that notice. They made the repairs free of charge. I immediately sent the nice lady i spoke with an email thanking her and Leica for their service. The whole process for me was painless and quick.
As I mentioned, I also bought the Sig binocular range finder. It works flawlessly for me. It is even faster than the new Leica and seems to range on smaller less reflective surfaces than the Leica did before repair. Now they seem to work the same on similar surfaces. Both will range out to approximately 1300 yards.
I hope this information may help.
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thank you for your post.
As a VERY long time Leica dealer I can say that the last couple of years has seen a HUGE improvement by Leica in their service dept. Yes, up until a few years ago it seemed their service dept was the direct opposite quality of the high quality of their offerings, however, they most certainly have turned this around and now, IMO, their service dept is excellent.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bo-regard:
To the OP,
It seems my experience with just about everything on this site from bullets to rangefinders has been totally opposite to those who report on this site.
I have both the Leica 10x42 rangefinder (bought in late 2004) and the Sig binocular rangefinder bought in 2019. I bought the Sig as a backup to the Leica. Many years ago one of the adjustable diopters froze and i could not adjust it for clarity. I tolerated it until this year prior to hunting season. I finally sent them back to Leica with a note detailing the problem. I also had noticed that the laser was getting slower and slower to read and that the laser worked less and less in bright sunshine. I detailed this information to Leica. I told them to please fix the problems and let me know the cost. In approximately 4-6 weeks i had them back. The diopter was replaced and now worked perfectly. The laser appeared to have been replaced and worked much better and i noticed some small lines underneath the distance reading. Those lines had not been there previously. Leica sent a repair notice of what they fixed but the laser part wasnt mentioned. Also there was no cost to me in that notice. They made the repairs free of charge. I immediately sent the nice lady i spoke with an email thanking her and Leica for their service. The whole process for me was painless and quick.
As I mentioned, I also bought the Sig binocular range finder. It works flawlessly for me. It is even faster than the new Leica and seems to range on smaller less reflective surfaces than the Leica did before repair. Now they seem to work the same on similar surfaces. Both will range out to approximately 1300 yards.
I hope this information may help.
Bill

I have had good luck with both Sig and Leica, the rangefinder in my geovids had stopped working. I sent them back to Leica with a note explaining the problem and also since my rangefinder was not under warranty to confirm the costs before the work was done. It took 12 weeks to come back, a South African problem and not any fault of Leica. Leica had refurbished the unit, repaired the rangefinder and replaced the eye cups and focus wheel free of charge.

During this time I bought the small Sig kilo rangefinder and used it very successfully on shots over 500yds. I was very impressed with its capabilities for such a handy unit.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 386 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am VERY glad to hear good reports out of Leica USA customer service. This may entice me to try another Geovid. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I am VERY glad to hear good reports out of Leica USA customer service. This may entice me to try another Geovid. Thanks for the info.

I am as well! My Leica Range finding Binoculars that I purchased from Doug are absolutely worth every penny. Very, very happy with them

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting about your Leica service experiences...I have been using geovids for over 10 years and never had an issue, but glad to hear they have been taking care of people as of late...good stuff!

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using Leica and Zeiss range finding binoculars.

Both work very well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66909 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a horrendous experience with Leica trying to get my Geovids fixed.Finally, I just gave them to a friend of mine, bought a pair of Swarovski Range Bino's and never looked back. I vowed to never buy another Leica product ever again.

The miserable ***** I dealt with at Leica was named "Roxanne."

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leica rangefinder and a couple swaro binocs. Both work great.
My preference is th keep them separate.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote