Find
Notify
Tools

How about those Leupold FX-II in 6X36?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I'm working on a custom 22 Hornet rifle project and I like the 6X36's profile. What's the consensus here? How do they compare in quality to a 6X42 FX-III? I have one of those and like it a lot.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got both. The 6x36 is good, but not in the same league as the 6 x 42.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dogleg. I better make sure the new mounts I'm ordering are high enough and just order another 6X42 and be done with it.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Roll Eyes

Oh, please!

The only optical difference in the two scopes is the exit pupil -- 7mm for the 42 and 6mm for the 36. Your eye pupil will not dilate more than 6mm until the light is virtually absent. Even then, if you are older than 40 or have ever smoked then it is doubtful that your pupil will even dilate past 6mm.

It would be a shame to put an oversized scope on a svelte little Hornet. You may want to rethink your plans, Custombolt.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If I can keep the 6X42 mounted nice and low it will look fine IF it will clear the rear barrel sight. I prefer to leave the sight in the dovetail.
Stonecreek: Have you used both of these scopes?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here's a 6X42 in low rings on a trim rifle. It would look much better sitting another .30" or so lower.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here's another angle on the position of a scope. If you go to GB and search the title---Brno 22 Hornet--- you'll see an example of a scope with a small objective sitting high on the same action I'm using. Germans seem to like the higher profile. Me, not so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Roll Eyes

Oh, please!

The only optical difference in the two scopes is the exit pupil -- 7mm for the 42 and 6mm for the 36. Your eye pupil will not dilate more than 6mm until the light is virtually absent. Even then, if you are older than 40 or have ever smoked then it is doubtful that your pupil will even dilate past 6mm.

It would be a shame to put an oversized scope on a svelte little Hornet. You may want to rethink your plans, Custombolt.

Also so the glass and lens coating. The difference between the two FX series is approximately the same as the difference between the VX2 and VX3.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
{ bought a FX 6X36 with the LR reticle last fall and am very disappointed in it.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Nickel used to make little (Supralyt?) six-powers like that, presumably for use on small-action hornets and .222s. I almost bought one, thinking it was a 4x. I can't really warm to the idea much, being a myope, as our pupils may open to 7mm or more in poor light. Also, finding the smaller exit pupil might be a problem when in a hurry.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not very clear? What didn't you like about it?
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
{ bought a FX 6X36 with the LR reticle last fall and am very disappointed in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best fixed 6x that was ever made is the Zeiss Diatal 6x42 T scope.
It has a brilliant image quality.

Pieter

Posts: 1045 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Not very clear? What didn't you like about it?
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

Windage and elevation clicks are not positive and do not respond correctly.You can make an adjustment and nothing happens.I thought the image would be better than it is.It has good eye relief and is light.Those are the only positive things I can say about it.I bought a 6X Meopta that is light years ahead of it in every way.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A friend from California with decades of experience had just mentioned both the Zeiss Diatal 6X42 T and the Meopta line as well. Meopta discontinued a line I really like that started life as the Czech made Artemus. Then they made the Artemus 2000 (steel) and the 3000 (aluminum) and assembled the Czech-made parts in the U.S.
Keep 'em coming. I appreciate every last post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to look at others and price is a secondary consideration, a Schmidt & Bender 6X has quite a "wow factor".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed I have. Nothing wrong with the 6x42 except for its size (which is not particularly large, but seems overpowering on a small action.) In fact, I have a like-new 6x42 FX-III sitting in a box in the safe simply because I don't have a rifle which seems appropriate for it. If you can use it at $300 it is yours.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you know there's a difference between an FX111 and an FX3?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Dogleg: I really never compared both the III and the 3. Are the dimensions the same? Are the coatings improved on the FX-3's?
S&B's may be dandy. I don't feel it is enough gun for a fine scope like that. But, I might change my mind down the road.

Stonecreek: I actually like the look of my FX-3 on this rifle. It's very sleek. However, it will need to be mounted in high rings. I only tried some mediums. The good news is the bolt clears just fine. What brand and height are the rings on your Fox?
quote:
quote:

Indeed I have. Nothing wrong with the 6x42 except for its size (which is not particularly large, but seems overpowering on a small action.) In fact, I have a like-new 6x42 FX-III sitting in a box in the safe simply because I don't have a rifle which seems appropriate for it. If you can use it at $300 it is yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FX 3 has the Xtended twilight system, and that would also be about the time the Diamondcoat hit the series. If there's any difference in dimensions it would be minor.

The 6X S&B is the sort of thing that shows up used at substantial discount. That may not interest you, but it is an option. Fixed scopes appeal to a limited market, and they are hard to sell. That can work in your favor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The FX 3 has the Xtended twilight system, and that would also be about the time the Diamondcoat hit the series.

I marvel at how late at night the advertising consultants, who have likely never seen, much less used, a riflescope must stay up dreaming up catchy phrases like "Xtended" and "Diamondcoat" to imply that there is something better about Version XXX than there was about Version XX, which in turn was supposed to be better than Version X. In truth, all that has changed is the advertising copy.

Get this: There is magnesium floride, which can be single coated or multi coated, that increases the light transmission of a lens. That's it. I'm sure that every optics manufacturer has its own proprietary formula and application method for its MF lens coating, but they all do essentially the same thing. Then, the clever manufacturers use a little tint in the coatings that enhances the red end of the spectrum. Since the human eye is more sensitive to reds than blues, shifting the image toward the red end makes it appear "brighter" to the eye. It's actually just colored differently than natural color and we perceive it as "brighter".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt: I think the rings are Burris, and IIRC, they are only available in what I would call "high" and "higher" in order to clear the unnecessarily thick bolt root of the CZ 527 (and predecessors).

Off subject, I know, but the small BRNO and CZ actions are exceedingly well-made and I like them a lot. Unfortunately, they suffer from some design flaws which, if fixed, would make them every bit as desirable as the Sako L461. Of course, those design flaws are the thick bolt root (necessitating excessively high scope mounting); the protruding single-stack detachable magazine; and worst of all, the dangerous safety which functions exactly backward from every other shoulder-fired firearm on Planet Earth.

When I hunt with my BRNO ZKW 465 I keep the bolt open if there is a cartridge in the chamber and never touch the safety; and I warn anyone I allow to shoot it to only lower the bolt when they are ready to shoot and never touch the safety. But the magnificent double set trigger is worth the hassle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The FX 3 has the Xtended twilight system, and that would also be about the time the Diamondcoat hit the series.

I marvel at how late at night the advertising consultants, who have likely never seen, much less used, a riflescope must stay up dreaming up catchy phrases like "Xtended" and "Diamondcoat" to imply that there is something better about Version XXX than there was about Version XX, which in turn was supposed to be better than Version X. In truth, all that has changed is the advertising copy.

Get this: There is magnesium floride, which can be single coated or multi coated, that increases the light transmission of a lens. That's it. I'm sure that every optics manufacturer has its own proprietary formula and application method for its MF lens coating, but they all do essentially the same thing. Then, the clever manufacturers use a little tint in the coatings that enhances the red end of the spectrum. Since the human eye is more sensitive to reds than blues, shifting the image toward the red end makes it appear "brighter" to the eye. It's actually just colored differently than natural color and we perceive it as "brighter".

Sure, all scopes are the same. Gotcha.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I must admit that I really like the operation of the DS trigger too. It is very smooth.
Did you have any scope mounting issues with your ZKW-465? Mine has odd size dovetails @ .642" OAW {16.3mm}and Leupold CZ527 mounts (around .600") won't fit properly. With the Leupold CZ-527 mounts installed, the side piece is tilted and looks like crap. I'll probably have to have them machined.
I like the look of your Burris mounts and I called Burris and they were not aware of any special size dovetail mounts for the ZKW.
Thanks for the input.

quote:
Custombolt: I think the rings are Burris, and IIRC, they are only available in what I would call "high" and "higher" in order to clear the unnecessarily thick bolt root of the CZ 527 (and predecessors).

Off subject, I know, but the small BRNO and CZ actions are exceedingly well-made and I like them a lot. Unfortunately, they suffer from some design flaws which, if fixed, would make them every bit as desirable as the Sako L461. Of course, those design flaws are the thick bolt root (necessitating excessively high scope mounting); the protruding single-stack detachable magazine; and worst of all, the dangerous safety which functions exactly backward from every other shoulder-fired firearm on Planet Earth.

When I hunt with my BRNO ZKW 465 I keep the bolt open if there is a cartridge in the chamber and never touch the safety; and I warn anyone I allow to shoot it to only lower the bolt when they are ready to shoot and never touch the safety. But the magnificent double set trigger is worth the hassle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The mounts I have on my ZKW came with it and I'm unaware of what brand they might be. I assumed that the ZKW had the same dovetails as the Fox Model 2 and the CZ 527, but I never really looked to see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get very carried away with optics in a hunting scope, since most any $300 scope nowadays will get you past legal shooting light anyway, but some scopes are brighter than others. At least as important as pure optical excellence is the reticle. Some are good and usable, others much too thin to my eyes. The easy choice, IMO, for a fixed 6x is the Meopta, or FX3 6x42.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek. It would be interesting to know the exact width on your ZKW. No rush on that. I'm just curious. If you have a caliper handy one day, see what you got.

JGRaider. EuroOptic has a pretty good deal on a MeoStar 6X42. Just bought one with the Zplex reticle just to try it out on another rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the heads up custom bolt......I'm a big fan of Meopta products.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek. It would be interesting to know the exact width on your ZKW. No rush on that. I'm just curious. If you have a caliper handy one day, see what you got.

Well, I gave it a try. It's hard to measure with the scope in place as only the rear portion of the rear dovetail is semi-accessible. The best I could tell it runs about .650" at the upper edge of the dovetail.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
You're welcome JG.
Stonecreek. Thanks. It's about the same as mine which is .642".