New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Scope Technology is Out Pacing Me!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The most I’ve ever spent on a scope was a Leupold Vari-X II 6-18 and I was hesitant at that. It was and still is a very nice scope and works great on my .222 REM. I have several older steel tube Weavers on other rifles which do a good job, but they are getting hard to find in decent working order.

I started looking for a fixed 4X or a 2-7X for my 7x57 since taking the peep sight off. Seems my eyes find it harder to use. I don’t like scopes with large bells (anything over 44mm) and now it seems everything is much bigger than that, plus they have more knobs than I’m used too. Saw one that syncs with your rangefinder and shows you the proper hold over.

Gee whiz… all I want is a simple basic scope with two knobs and no GPS/Bluetooth and no parallax adjustment….and one that costs less than $300.

Yeah… I’m old fashioned.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The type of basic scope you want is still produced but may not be as obvious amongst all the marketing noise over the bells and whistles models ( i.e. spendy models ). Personally I am way past looking for cheapies in scopes. Anything cheap I ever bought never went the distance and ended up discarded. Where I can I go for top quality glass ( upper end Leupold, Swarovski ) and buy used, but not abused, and I've been quite content. I don't think I've ever paid as little as $300.00 though !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris Fullfield II.

I have and recommend them. I can think of no other scope I would buy in the price range.

Next stop for me would be a Leupold VX3-HD or something quality from Japan.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Uncle Grinch is way ahead of me. IMHO the last decent American hunting scopes were the Leupold Pioneer and Mountaineer, B&L's 'Custom' series and, finally, Unertl's bird line.

If I needed to buy a new one now, I'd hope to find a small Leupold fixed power or variable (for a light-recoil calibre) or a Burris scope with Posilock.

High-powered scopes and lower-powered ones with big objective bells are usually folly, inviting bumps to knock them out of whack.

The need for big front bells is generally limited to people who hunt at night without a light, a rare situation in North America and Australasia but more common in Europe and in African leopard hunting.

Trying to gain a few more minutes hunting may make some sense at dawn but less at dusk. Not only might it be technically illegal for game but if you wound something, finding it will be all the harder after dark.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Unc, we are the curmudgeon generation and we don't need all that crap to shoot a lil ole deer! or a sperm whale for that mattter, A Leupold 4X has never let me down, not one time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote