New
Find
Notify
Tools

1" tube DG/All Purpose scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a BRNO 602 in .375 with 1" Burgess rings - have an older leupold vx II on it and I'd like to upgrade. Not particularly price sensitive but would like to use my current rings - any ideas?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.5-8X Leupold

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Idaho Sharpshooter. I have used this scope on both 338 and 375 in Africa. Worked so great my OH in Botswana got it for his 375.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry should have ben PH.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 375 deserves more than a 1-4 scope, as it has some range potential in the right hands.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 has a 1" tube and top tier optics. It is also waterproof (4 meters!). Minimum eye relief is about the same as the Leupold Idaho mentioned - 3.54" v. 3.6"

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys feel the 2-8 is still good for DG (Buffalo)?

Wanted to put my 1.7-10x42 swaro on but the bolt won't clear.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
You guys feel the 2-8 is still good for DG (Buffalo)?

Wanted to put my 1.7-10x42 swaro on but the bolt won't clear.

Well, it's what Saeed uses on his rifles.

IMO, the 2.5-8 is really the perfect sweet spot between function, durability, weight and cost. I have three of them on various rifles, though my 375 does currently wear a vx6 1-6.

It's definitely a worthy option.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the VXIII 1.5x - 5X with heavy duplex. Tough, rides low. QD mounts. Yes, I have pulled them off once or twice in really thick stuff.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would prefer something with a low, low-end like a 1-4, 1.5-6 or if you must go to high multiples, a Swarovski 1-6. As Townsend Whelen said, big game tends to be big and doesn't really need high magnifications even for long shots.

I don't really trust the mini-me erector tube rocking around in modern scopes, under heavy recoil, though, so would prefer an old reticle-movement model. If your mounts have lateral adjustments you could look for a 1" steel Pecar 1.5-4 or small Kahles, all the better if there is only an elevation knob. Unfortunately the old Zeiss/Hensoldt, Nickel and early Swarovski scopes usually came with rails or 26mm tubes (often found with demi-rings soldered on). B&L 'Custom' scopes were the toughest and 1" but needed special mounts, of course).

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have and hunt with 2.5-8xs and, more recently, a 1.75-6x, all VX3s. The latter lives on a very accurate 700 in .300 Roy that previously wore a 3.5-10x. There isn't much to criticize, and would be hard pressed to decide which low power variable is "best". I have never used more than 5x (that was a 2.5-8X scope) on a guided hunt. Sometimes dial up magnification for meat animals at home - but that's not based on necessity.

About only difference I notice is the 1.75X floor results in seeing the bbl/irons through the scope, I tend not to see them with the 2.5X floor. Maybe just me.

I would take the 32 mm obj 1.75-6X over the 20mm objective 1.5-5X VX3 every day and twice on Sunday, though.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2,5x20.

I have actually never heard of one of these breaking due to recoil.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
2.5-8X Leupold

I agree.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have an older leupold vx II on it and I'd like to upgrade.

I'm guessing your older Leupold is a 2-7X28mm? Those were fine scopes with an adequate objective lens that was still small enough to mount very low on most rifles. I wish Leupold would bring that scope back with updated lenses.

Maybe the Leupold 1.75-6X would be near the perfect power range. However, for sheer dependability their old fixed M-8 3X is probably the gold standard for DG rifles. The last I knew that scope was once again available through the Leupold custom shop.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would buy new rings and a Swarovski 1.7-10 30mm .

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW is on the right track, I used a Leica 2.5x10 30mm scope on my CZ 550 on a recent trip to Zim, the scope spent more time on the higher power than the lower. Get a pair of Warne QD's and you'll never look back. If you don't want to go 30mm, a zeiss conquest in 3x9, 3.5x10, 4.5x14 would be big upgrade in my opinion.

Leica is a nice scope for the money

http://www.eurooptic.com/leica...1c-bb6d-024fd743ae20

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1.7-10 swaro that I would love to put on it, but unless I get a new bolt handle on it, I have to mount it too high. To me, the 1.7-10 is a great scope for a .375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all the 2.5x8 advocates a notation should be added...." if it fits". The useable tube area is slightly more than 5 inches and a lot of magnums and most two piece mounts don't provide that small a spacing requirement.
I would vote for a custom shop 3X.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Just put a 1.5-8x32 Vortex Razor HD LH on my 416 Ruger. Highly impressed so far with this optic. Seems like it was made with this type of rifle in mind. Definitely take a look at one if you can.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
To all the 2.5x8 advocates a notation should be added...." if it fits". The useable tube area is slightly more than 5 inches and a lot of magnums and most two piece mounts don't provide that small a spacing requirement.
I would vote for a custom shop 3X.

I had that problem putting a little Kahles 2.3-7x on a Sako Finnbear, decades ago. The gunsmith fixed the problem with Redfield extension mounts, possibly inverting one of them. Despite the lengthened connection, it sat rock solid for 33 years.

I believe Leupold make similar swing-out mounts and other makers like Optilock still do extension mounts.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gentleman wants to use his existing mounts thus their spacing becomes the limiting factor.
Actually a Leupold 3.5x10 may be a better alternative.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry, forgot to refer back to the defining post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have a 12x24 variable on a DG rifle..but hey I have a 3X fixed on my Brno/CZ 602, and its slayed many buffalo, and what not.. I still can't get over this power variable fixation for hunting big game, especially DG..It is considered dangerous by some PHs and only amazes me, but to each his own and good luck with your hunt....I might buy that old vari x 11 from you if its worn out.

I see old (new) Sako rings and peep sights quite often on gunsinternational.com and on gunamerica.com.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Sniper's suggestion for a Vortex Razor in 1.5-8x is a good one. I bought this scope and have used it on my .395 Max (no misprint, .395 bullet diameter, .375 Ruger case). Really am impressed by it.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the Leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36, going to give it a try. Good enough for Saeed, should be good!

posted Hide Post
Close! I was going to say the 1.5x5 vx3i--the vxi line is a great improvement...Steve

Posts: 10 | Location: dallas, tx. | Registered: 15 December 2013Reply With Quote