The Accurate Reloading Forums
March scope on the way!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1421043/m/5751011662

29 May 2021, 23:13
butchlambert
March scope on the way!
Was notified my March 2.5x-25x hunting scope is on the way from Japan. I'm doing a switch barrel 300RUM-338RUM. I'm waiting on my D'Arcy Echols stock. I do need to get with it with my chambering.
30 May 2021, 03:17
Beretta682E
I am looking forward to your review. I may want to get a March scope.

Mike
03 June 2021, 19:35
butchlambert
Scope is in customs in LA, but not released to ship to Texas yet.
04 June 2021, 00:20
Stonecreek
It will be interesting to see how much the eye distance varies with such a large range of magnification.

Also, I wonder if the "field blending" (the technical term Sambarmman uses to refer to what most of us call "tunnel vision") will be an issue. That is, how much of the sight picture is taken up by a black ring around the otherwise visible portion of what you see.

Please do post about your experience with it once in hand.
04 June 2021, 01:42
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It will be interesting to see how much the eye distance varies with such a large range of magnification.

Also, I wonder if the "field blending" (the technical term Sambarmman uses to refer to what most of us call "tunnel vision") will be an issue. That is, how much of the sight picture is taken up by a black ring around the otherwise visible portion of what you see.

Please do post about your experience with it once in hand.

Specs for my scope:
https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d25v42/
04 June 2021, 17:16
sambarman338
If the stated eye-relief figures are accurate, they're not bad. In the old days a variable could have 120mm at 1x and only 65mm by 4x, though many had good flexibility beyond that.

Tunnel vision would certainly be a curse at 2.5x when hunting. Once you get to the higher powers the loss to magnification is so great it just becomes an aesthetic annoyance.

I would worry about the longevity of the 10x-multiple power assembly rocking around above a 338RUM. At least the one in their Genesis ELR is lodged firmly in the outer tube (despite its ugliness, I love that scope).

Be careful you don't bump your scope, too - the bigger the scope, the easier it is to knock out alignment.
04 June 2021, 18:13
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
If the stated eye-relief figures are accurate, they're not bad. In the old days a variable could have 120mm at 1x and only 65mm by 4x, though many had good flexibility beyond that.

Tunnel vision would certainly be a curse at 2.5x when hunting. Once you get to the higher powers the loss to magnification is so great it just becomes an aesthetic annoyance.

I would worry about the longevity of the 10x-multiple power assembly rocking around above a 338RUM. At least the one in their Genesis ELR is lodged firmly in the outer tube (despite its ugliness, I love that scope).

Be careful you don't bump your scope, too - the bigger the scope, the easier it is to knock out alignment.

The reason I ordered the compact
08 June 2021, 04:50
secondtry
I've got one with the tactical knobs. Have also owned the larger objective version of the 2.5/25. The larger objective model makes for a larger exit pupil, which is much more user friendly, particularly at the higher powers. This time round I opted for compactness as I probably won't ever use it past 15x.

Optically they are fine, although I do question the need for 25x. 15/20 would be plenty for my use.

The main attractions for me are a sensible lower end of 2.5X, and the availability of a very clean duplex reticle that is neither too thick nor too thin.
It's very hard to find a scope with reliable turrets that doesn't have ridiculously fine and cluttered reticles, which do not suit my hunting.

The only downside that I have found is that the turrets provide more adjustment per turn than many others. This means more, and finer,clicks per turn, and some concentration is required if one is trying to count clicks instead of watching the markings on the dial.

You'll like it Smiler
12 June 2021, 02:21
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
I've got one with the tactical knobs. Have also owned the larger objective version of the 2.5/25. The larger objective model makes for a larger exit pupil, which is much more user friendly, particularly at the higher powers. This time round I opted for compactness as I probably won't ever use it past 15x.

Optically they are fine, although I do question the need for 25x. 15/20 would be plenty for my use.

The main attractions for me are a sensible lower end of 2.5X, and the availability of a very clean duplex reticle that is neither too thick nor too thin.
It's very hard to find a scope with reliable turrets that doesn't have ridiculously fine and cluttered reticles, which do not suit my hunting.

The only downside that I have found is that the turrets provide more adjustment per turn than many others. This means more, and finer,clicks per turn, and some concentration is required if one is trying to count clicks instead of watching the markings on the dial.

You'll like it Smiler

Thanks, it was mailed to me from Austin, Texas to arrive on Monday.
Did you buy yours from Annie and Stuart Elliott with BRT Shooters Supply?
Old friends of mine.
12 June 2021, 05:05
secondtry
Yep -from BRT.
Annie and Stuart are very helpful and great to deal with. They are an excellent supplier of many quality items that are otherwise very hard for us to get in Aus.
12 June 2021, 18:58
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
Yep -from BRT.
Annie and Stuart are very helpful and great to deal with. They are an excellent supplier of many quality items that are otherwise very hard for us to get in Aus.

They kinda like Wild Turkey.
20 June 2021, 23:23
butchlambert
Scope is in hand but not mounted.
26 June 2021, 22:11
Stonecreek
Any feedback yet on eye placement (both fore-aft and how critical side-to-side) with changes in power? Or field blending? We're interested to know.
26 June 2021, 22:47
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Any feedback yet on eye placement (both fore-aft and how critical side-to-side) with changes in power? Or field blending? We're interested to know.

I've been busy and out of state for a Grand Daughter's wedding.The rifle that it is intended is not machined or built. I've got a decent 308 that I may try, but it may be a month before I get it out of the box.
27 June 2021, 02:34
AnotherAZWriter
I have that scope mounted on a Rem 700 300 RUM with a Shilen bbl, an old Brown stock (back from the 80s), and a Vias break. Here is what I like/don't like:

Like:
Plenty of elevation per turn
Lighter than my NFs, of which I am a huge fan

Dislikes:
I use the side parallax on my long range rifles to judge the wind. The problem with the March is that a slight turn of the knob moves the focus too much - the NF is pretty generous in this regard, and way easier to judge with wind
I knocked over a rifle (hvy bbl AR) with this scope mounted; bent the objective so much the lenses were out of alignment. Sent it back to Japan - they charged my $700 to fix it.

I will be using this rifle for two elk hunts this fall. Right now I shoot it LR at my CO place - this morning I shot it at my 715 yard gong. Called the wind right but was about 5" low. Been hammering that 715 yard gong pretty reliably with this rifle. Load is 90.8 IMR8133 and a 200 Nosler AB.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151