New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex razor line verses the Meopta R2 line
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are you gents thoughts on the 2 of these scopes if you were purchasing?
My eyes are getting older and I would really like to upgrade glass on a couple of my rifles that are my regulars.
I'm specifically looking at the light transmission and image clarity. I shoot under 400 yds in most hunting scenarios so reticles, dials, etc are not my primary concern.

Thanks
Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that one of our members from Texas thinks Razor is the only Vortex line worth considering. Meoptas have a good name and looked good when I peered through a couple in a shop. However, they seemed enormous scopes (making them more vulnerable to bumps). Also, as with most scopes since constantly centred reticles came in 60 years ago, they had a lot of tunnel vision.

Posts: 4922 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I owned a Meopta Meostar R2 8x56 for a short period of time (Bobby Tomek actually had more field time with it than I did). I think it had better clarity and glass than the Vortex Razor line of scopes. A lot of the Razor rifle scopes are heavy unless you are looking at the Razor LH scopes.

In the price range you are looking at...there are better choices imo. A Leupold vx3i..vx6 or Swarovski z3/z5 I don't like the exposed turrets on the Vortex line and their reticles and styles are mainly tacticool instead of hunting.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank yall. This was every helpful

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im sold on Leupold, they have worked for me for perhaps 60 or 70 years, can' remember when I got my first Leupold however, but it was a 2.5X..no centered reticle but once the shims center it, it held its zero on my 99 for many years without touching it. Took me a week to get it centered. faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vortex-Asian, Leupold-American.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote