Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner GS3 2-10x42 - thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted
I am thinking of going with the above referenced scope on a .308 bolt action rifle that "should" become my go-to rifle for the field. Mainly whitetail deer and hog hunting shooting distances of 20 - 400 yards. I have checked all the specs, read the gun writer reviews, etc.
I was wondering if any of you had any real world/life experience (continued use) with these scopes and could/would give me your impressions?

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one...Doug recommended it and I haven't been disappointed. Seems rock solid and I've carried it a fair piece.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out two factors before making a decision:

First, European-made scopes tend to be on the heavy side, as well as being physically somewhat large. Make sure you won't be overburdening a light, sleek rifle in a medium caliber with a scope that weights it down and is disproportionately large for it.

Second, Steiners tend to have somewhat critical eye placement, both fore-aft and side-to-side. This isn't much of a problem shooting from the bench or other fixed position, but make sure you are able to quickly and easily acquire the sight picture when you shoulder the gun. Shooting from various positions you might find in the field (prone, kneeling, turned to one extreme or another) can change the geometry of where your eye sits relative to the scope, so avoid the scope if its "eye box" is restricted enough that you might have difficulty with it in the field.

Otherwise, I'm sure the optics and physical integrity of the scope are fine.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That is a large scope for any hunting rifle, let alone a medium-range calibre like the 308W. This means greater susceptiblity to wrenching from front-end bumps.

I am also predjudiced against the brand after some scumbag tried to sell me a pair of their binos where the hinge was completely shot. The brand had not even been sold here very long at that time.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will never sit on one of my rifles...a scope should be lean and mean not a damn club..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote