New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Boresighter ?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the "New" Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter?
The reason I ask is that I am doing so much scope work on 17 and 20 caliber Rifles anymore that my lack of a "spud" for my old tried and true Bushnell Boresighter in 17 and 20 calibers is starting to wear on me and is wasting my time.
I am wondering if anyone has one of these new type end of barrel boresighters and are they worth the money and how well do they work?
I can not remember the last time I boresighted a Rifle with my Bushnell and it was not on the paper at 50 yards. And usually if I am lazy and don't start at 50 yards I am on the paper at 100 yards with it!
Anyway I would appreciate any experiences and/or opinions you might have with this tool!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work as good as any. Always on the paper 50 yards, and generally on the paper at 100 yards.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new ones, as well as one of the old ones.

The new ones are easier to use and position because they have a scale...but they still have several things about them, that I don’t really like.

1. If you are not real careful they can scratch the hell of of the finish on the muzzle because the magnate is so strong.

2. They are difficult to get back to the exact same height each time. I had to mark mine for each rifle/scope combination since a tiny bit of misalignment makes a huge difference with the cross hairs and the grid marks.

Other than those little quirks (which might not bother other people) they are handy and small enough to carry around, and they certainly won’t hurt the rifling.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Why not just use the bore to sight. Take out the bolt, look down the bore, adjust the scope, and you'll be on paper. Best of all, it's free.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311: Thanks for your first hand info - I appreciate it.

Willie B: Thats what I needed to know - thank you very much.

Ralph Hyrlik: That is the way I am doing the 17 caliber and 20 caliber Rifles I work on now Ralph. It is a minor pain especially when I am working on scopes during the 16 hours of darkness we are having these days!
ITS VERY HARD to bore sight through the barrel of a Rifle at night!
And its a pain during the day my gun room where my gun vises and tools are is downstairs with no window to the outside. I have to bring the Rifles upstairs put it in the sun room and go get my Dog-Gone-Good
"X" type sandbag from my VarmintMobile and then stir the adjustments around til things look lined up and then put everything back. It would be so much quicker and more convenient to have the 17 and 20 caliber spuds OR apply the money I would spend toward the two spuds to the new fangled Leupold type bore sighter that works off of the muzzle of the Rifle regardless of caliber???
I may just spend my sheckles for the new fangled bore sighter if I get a couple more good reports from forum members.

Thanks again all
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
Why not just use the bore to sight. Take out the bolt, look down the bore, adjust the scope, and you'll be on paper. Best of all, it's free.

Agree 100%. Common sense...the least common of the senses...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote