New
Find
Notify
Tools

service on an old Leupold 3x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M8 3x Leupold, purchased new by me for my dad in the 80s I think. It was used very little on his .22, then went to Alaska on my son's .375. Now I want to take it to kodiak this spring on a bear hunt. I read somewhere about a guy who sent his old Leupold in for cleaning and re-filling with Argon gas. Should I be doing the same thing, or is this overkill. It doesn't appear to have any problems at this point, but I want to minimize equipment failure on this hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If it's fine now I don't see something suddenly going wrong at this point.

But, you might want to read this thread about Leupold's custom shop being closed hopefully only in the short term.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1421043/m/2111017552

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I had one go tits up on me. There was a loose lens flopping around inside the scope. I sent it to Leupold to be fixed but they wouldn't do the repair. Offered me a replacement from their Freedom line or another fixed power. I opted for a fixed 6x scope. I was disappointed. I like those long tube scopes.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few of them over a period of maybe 20 years. Only had issues with one, which didn't affect sealing or function and was fixed.

I'd leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you send it back, it may be replaced with something else, and you may never see it again.

If you are concerned take a spare - maybe a 1.5/5 VX3 or a 2.5 Compact (if it is long enough). The 2.5 will likely have a little less field of view than your old 3x (actually 2.75x).

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could employ the outlook expressed by Ray Atkinson: get another Leupold of the same power at least, shoot it in on the rifle and store it in your daypack. Then restore the old scope to the rifle and check its zero.

If that old scope goes bad on your hunt, hopefully you can replace it with the new one in short order. This would be all the more do-able if each scope has QD rings - but that adds even more mass to the equation.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies guys. OK, so a question on these QD rings. First, I'm a very old school shooter with old equipment. I've always used old style mounts and rings: not one to try the latest and greatest. Hunted Alaska several times and just used 2-7 Leupold mounted in lightweight talley mount/rings. I've read a little about QD mounts/rings but have no clue re: their reliability. On Kodiak, the last thing you want to do is have to shoot your rifle to re-zero it where you're hunting. The reason I want to use a straight power scope is for the added reliability, and higher FOV. If I would take a back-up, I'd take my M8 4x Leupold. So, having said all that, I guess I'd like to know you're experience with these QD mounts. Incidentally, the rifle is a .375. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read somewhere about a guy who sent his old Leupold in for cleaning and re-filling with Argon gas. Should I be doing the same thing, or is this overkill. It doesn't appear to have any problems at this point

The tired old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" certainly applies in this case. And although the Leupold Custom shop is in transition, this should not impact their warranty division. But if you send in an older and now unavailable scope like your M8 3X you run the risk of some technician assuming there is a problem and it is cheaper to just send you a new scope from their current line -- which won't include the M8 3X, or anything nearly like it.

The Leupold 4x has plenty of FOV, so simply carry it along if you feel you need a back-up.

I don't use QR rings and don't find any real need of them. I do have a set on a used Sako I purchased which work fine since I've never removed them to see if the QR feature actually works.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to rely on irons to backup a scope when I had younger eyes. Now I take a sighted in 1x4 Leupold as a backup. The scopes on my hunting rifles are mounted with Leupold PRW rings.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
thanks for the replies guys. OK, so a question on these QD rings. First, I'm a very old school shooter with old equipment. I've always used old style mounts and rings: not one to try the latest and greatest. Hunted Alaska several times and just used 2-7 Leupold mounted in lightweight talley mount/rings. I've read a little about QD mounts/rings but have no clue re: their reliability. On Kodiak, the last thing you want to do is have to shoot your rifle to re-zero it where you're hunting. The reason I want to use a straight power scope is for the added reliability, and higher FOV. If I would take a back-up, I'd take my M8 4x Leupold. So, having said all that, I guess I'd like to know you're experience with these QD mounts. Incidentally, the rifle is a .375. thanks

I've used the Talley screw detachables to enable me to take a spare, sighted in, scope. They return to zero (just make sure the dovetail is clean before you fit the replacement scope)
I like the screw locks as opposed to the levers, because they are neater with nothing to catch. The greater speed of the lever locks is irrelevant, as you will be most unlikely to change scope in the field. Just carry a torx key in case you need to change. I carry keys for scope mounting screws and for guard screws. Never needed them, but they weigh nothing and take up no space.
Don't worry about the weight - 5oz with 1" ring as compared to the Talley 1" lightweights at 2oz

The mounts are fiddly to set up though.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:

I've used Leupold QD mounts on trips to Africa with a 300 Weatherby and a 375 H&H. I brought a spare scope in case something got damaged in transit. I range-tested this set up several times; on and off multiple times. POI shift was never greater than 1" if at all. Since there are a lot of other atmospheric factors can give that kind of POI shift I never worried about it.

I used both the Leupold QR and QRW style and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id check some gun shows and pawn shops, wherever and have two scopes for my rifle in QD Talleys or whatever..and yes if it ain't broke don't fix it..

I have sent back a number of Leupolds scopes, one that was broken in half that a horse rooled on, ask them if it could be fixed and if not just toss it..they made me a new one in 3X and no charge, that's been my experience with Leupold for 60 plus years, maybe 70 years?? I wouldn't use any other scope other than if I got something in a trade deal, then I might sell it and buy a used Leupold..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote