THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Older Redfield..Will they handle Big Bore Kickers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Redfield..Will they handle Big Bore Kickers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Looking at putting a 4x Compact Redfield on a 458 ? Also will they take a Cerkote finish without flaking off?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 458? I thought you said a big bore? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1x4 Redfield on a .358 Win. that I bought in 1975 that gave up on me twice before I threw it away!

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't want to badmouth Redfield but they with Kollmorgen and Weaver did pioneer image-movement (constantly centred reticles). With the exception of Pecar's, all of those scopes I know of did it by articulating the entire erector set, complete with reticle and power scroll (in the case of variables).

Hinged at the back and suspended on spring(s) at the front, this means that whenever a big rifle is fired it rises in recoil; the poor erector tube, however, gets left behind and the front whacks against the bottom of the scope. When the the shooter's shoulder pulls it up, the tube crashes back against the turret screws.

In case the scope has been installed crookedly, the turrets need to be screwed a long way and in some cases this can result in the erector springs being stressed laterally. They may abide for a while but continual recoil in this situation is likely to break them, after which the scope rattles, as Ray Atkinson has observed.

So, would I buy a Redfield for your .458? No, I would look for an old scope (Leupold, Unertl or European) where the reticle moves out of centre when you wind the turrets, and get a competent gunsmith to mount it.

Failing that, perhaps a Swarovski Z5 or 6 or an old Leupold Compact 2.5x, and hope for the best.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Very Interesting! I plan on staying with a Ligheeright Leupold 1-4 with Heavy Duplex...Its ashame as I do like the Widefied Idea but oh well! Thanks to all for free replys!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote