New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Finder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems that range finders advertise that they will range out to a certain distance but sometimes they do not say that the total range distance is limited by what you are ranging. What is a good and reasonable priced range finder that will range and animal such as a deer out to 500 yds.

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Prostaff 550 that is supposed to range out to 550 yards. I have not tried it out that far yet. I am not sure what you mean by "what you are ranging"? Do you mean the size of the target? I am not sure that matters unless it is standing on the top of a mountain. Whether you sight on the deer or the ground next to it I don't think matters much, unless as I said above, it is standing on a mountain peak! Otherwise you would need a tripod to mount the rangefinder on.
BTW, I bought the Nikon on EBay.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon I think it is the 440 and it seems to be worthless unless you are ranging short distances. I hunt several areas that I have seen deer out past 200yds but this thing will not range them. I would like to get something better but with a reasonable price. One that will range an animal out to at least 500yds. I dont want to spend thousands of dollars. I was looking at the Leupold RX-1000 but would like to get opions from others that have range finders that range animals to those distances

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robe, I would suggest testing. Why not range a neighbors fence for example and see if it works out to 400 yards. If not, perhaps you need a new battery? When you say "it doesn't range", what do you mean? No result? Incorrect result? Take it to the rifle range and range it on the target or the berm. If all else fails, try calling Nikon! I have heard no complaints like yours when I Googled Nikon rangefinders and looked at buyer's feedback.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last week I was hunting a long food plot, around 600+ yards. I saw two deer come out and tried to range them with no success. I got thru hunting and walked to where they were and tried to range back on my truck and got nothing. The thing would not range over 150yards. I think I replaced the battery in the middle of last year. May try another battery. I was looking at the Leica CRF 900 or the Nikon Monarch 1200. I was hoping to get some feed back on those or one in that category.

One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica 1200. Ranged large objects to 1400yds and animals to 900yds in ideal conditions. Rain, fog and really bright sunlight will reduce this somewhat but it still works well enough at 500+ yds in most conditions

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and buy the Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica. The others are not in the same league (not even close).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
should the Leica CFR 900 be able to range deer size animals out to 500 yds

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robe, if you want to get another rangefinder, have at it, however I just stepped outside my front door and ranged a concrete mailbox at 280 yards, and a parked car at 345 yards. Are these deer? No! But it demonstrates, to my satisfaction at least, that my rangefinder "ranges" at these distances.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter the range finder I have is not the 550 it is the 440. The areas that I hunt have some large open areas that are beyond that capability of the 440 if it is working correctly. I am planning on trying another battery. If that makes it work I will give it to one of my sons. From what I have read from here and other sites it seems that the Leica 900 and 1200 are may work for me. There are others that fall in the ranging catagory as those but there seems to be a lot more negative feedback for other brands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robe763:
should the Leica CFR 900 be able to range deer size animals out to 500 yds

Yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite 1500 isnt a bad rangefinder for the price. I have one, same thing but just called 'pinseeker' marketed for golf, Ill sell for $200 shipped conus. They are new about 370. It will range deer as far as I would want to shoot at one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to highjack, but I'm looking for the best hunting range finder I can find. I'd rather spend $300 than $1200 if I can still get the best, but I want the best.

Though I used to compete in the National Match Course at 600 yds all the time, I would probably never try a shot at game past 400 yds. So a range finder with an honest max capability of 500-600 yds on small whitetails would be as good to me as one that could range a mile.

It would need to be rugged, compact and light. It would be great if its optics and magnificaton were good enough to replace the need to carry binoculars (8x30 equivelent?)

Is the Leica 900 or 1200 what I'm looking for? Any suggestions or experience with Leica or the other mentioned top brands (Swarovski or Zeiss?)?

Brazos Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brazos Jack

Brazos Jack
I had the Leica 1200 solid piece of equipment but I got 2 months ago the new Zeiss and love it i gave the Leica to my son and kept the Zeiss for myself!
Try and compare them before you buy!

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freischuetz,

After reading your post, I searched on line and found the Carl Zeiss Victory 8 x 26 PRF Rangefinder. Is that the one you have?

If you kept it and gave your son the Leica, I assume that the Zeiss is the better of the two?

So, do you consider your Zeiss the best out there?

Brazos_Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica and it is 7x24. I agree with your thinking of using your range finder in place of binocs. I didn't take my binocs to Africa with me because I planned to use my range finder and it worked great. The Zeiss is 8x26, so it is what I would buy if I were to get one now. I also heard negative issues with Leica's warranty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
Freischuetz,

After reading your post, I searched on line and found the Carl Zeiss Victory 8 x 26 PRF Rangefinder. Is that the one you have?

If you kept it and gave your son the Leica, I assume that the Zeiss is the better of the two?

So, do you consider your Zeiss the best out there?

Brazos_Jack

Jack

IMO it is the best!

Hope that helps

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We teach hunter shooting and see all sorts of gear come thru and get to see the all the equiptment failures. Some rangefinders have very poor lenses and some are even synthetic. Stick with Leica,Swarovski and Zeiss as we see less failures and more consistant results. Almost anything will work in good conditions the real test is in bad weather rough handeling and these three stand up.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote