THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Illuminated scopes are they worth it South Afria

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illuminated scopes are they worth it South Afria
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I am going on two cull hunts in two months. One is in Limpopo and another in the eastern cape. On my Tikkia 6.5x55 I have a Leupold 2-7 x 33 with CDS (custom turret for the ballistics)

I expect to be only shooting during the sunny day. I am driving myself crazy thinking I should buy a Leupold 3.5 - 10 with an illuminated reticle. (fire dot)

IS it worth it? Will the illuminated reticle help me shoot better or should I just save the money and cull a few more animals?

thanks for your input

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the illuminated scope will help as you are shooting “mid day”

However, I just bought one and I really like it. However, I see the biggest advantage is for low light settings.

I’d save your $$ and shoot more animals

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Jason, thank you for the advice. I used an illuminated Swaroski a few years back and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again,

jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't have anything else

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d say it’s essential for cat hunting with low light.

Unless you are shooting really late or early in the day, it falls in the nice to have, but not necessarily needed category.

Heck, unless it’s late/early I don’t even bother to turn mine on, and I do have them.

Personally, I’d rather hunt more animals than get an illuminated reticle unless I’m hunting predators, especially in Africa.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot, I live in South Africa.

On one of my rifles, I have a Nightforce scope with illuminated reticle.

I have never once used it in the field.
Used to do quite a lot of culling with that rifle, even some at night with a spotlight.

In my opinion, if there is not enough light to see a normal black reticle, there isn't really enough light to properly identify the target either.

Posts: 459 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the reassurances. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Being a Luddite who wonders about ethics in our world of racing technology, I have decided not to use any electrical assistance in the finding and shooting of game - so I wouldn't go there.

Further, I would worry about getting to rely on anything with batteries. Last I heard , Leupold guaranteed their scopes for life but illumination stuff only for a year or two. That, plus batteries failing untimely, would worry me.

If you can't see a German #1 or #4 reticle, you probably can't see the target, either.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont see how an illuminated reticle is supposed to help in low light. It is not like they light up the objects you are looking at. They arent starlight scope technology. Seems like cumbersome snake oil to me.

Posts: 10114 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Being a Luddite who wonders about ethics in our world of racing technology, I have decided not to use any electrical assistance in the finding and shooting of game - so I wouldn't go there.

Further, I would worry about getting to rely on anything with batteries. Last I heard , Leupold guaranteed their scopes for life but illumination stuff only for a year or two. That, plus batteries failing untimely, would worry me.

If you can't see a German #1 or #4 reticle, you probably can't see the target, either.

Have you hunted Africa ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Beretta682E, I spent a month there in 2009. Hunted in northern Mozambique, as close as I could afford to old Tanganyika, but not for black cats by night, if that's where you're going.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote