THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 experience/opinions?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 experience/opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
in my never-ending quest for the perfect scope for "carrying and hunting" (as opposed to "sit in a blind" hunting), I'm currently fascinated by the Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50. I've used Swarovski Z3s and Z5s, and S&B Klassics, but like the combination of the Zeiss' shorter length, 30mm tube, 50mm objective and illumination. Anyone have experience with this Zeiss model they can share? Much appreciated

Posts: 229 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi S Texan.

I have that telescopic sight, at 1.5 to 6 x 42.
It is mounted on a Chapuis 9.3 x 74

I think that along with 2.5 to 10 x 50, they are the two best formats for hunting.
The optics of HT is really good, it will take a step forward, compared to its previous viewers.
A viewfinder at its height, may be Smith Bender Polar T 96 ... perhaps superior.

Best regards.

Manuel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I have one on my "moose rifle" a M70 Featherweight Classic in 338-06 A-Square (Lothar Walter barrel).

After three seasons of hard use moose hunting in Northern Norway,I`m very satisfied, and it has performed flawlessy.
Actually, this is a scope that I like better and better.

At x2,5 it works well in dense timber, and just as well on x10 on open clearcuts and mountain sides.

We also have license on a couple of red deer on our lease, and the scope doubles up in an exellent way if I have to sit in a high seat at dusk and dawn waiting for the deer.
The low light performance is top notch, and the red dot can be turned down to next to nothing if needed.

All in all, a very versatile scope of high quality and performance.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you really do want one and happen to locate a good deal, grab it fast as these have been discontinued for a while now.

I've had the 1.5-6, the 2.5-10and 3-12x56 version of the HT, and there's lots to like about them. But they weren't all that well suited to my usage, so down the road they went.

Nonetheless, I'll say this: the HT series is terrific for most hunting applications and excels in low light. And the illumination system is very, very nice -- one of the better designs out there for certain.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9329 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have great respect for the Zeiss brand but, considering your wish for a scope for "carrying and hunting", may I suggest you get a smaller model?

As Ray Atkinson has pointed out, the easiest way for a scope to lose zero is through a bump. The greatest movement caused by a bump is when there is a lot of scope to bump, usually ahead of the mounts; the greater the magnification, the bigger and longer the objective needs to be and the more sticks out to be leveraged against the mounts.

If your scope is for big game, you don't need high magnification unless you're assassinating it at extreme range, but you may need a large field of view to find it quickly.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 1.5-6 on both my Dakota 300 Win for plains game and my 416 Heym Express for DG. I regret that Zeiss has discontinued the Victory HTs as they are the idea scope for me. The optics are top notch and the scope is compact for field use. Some say 6x is not engough but I have no problem shooting 1 MOA groups at 6X. However, the biggest advantage to me is they can be mounted much lower than other high end scopes such as the Swaro. Z6i I orginaly had on my 300 Win.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, gbs, the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x HT was as good a modern scope as I can think of, and I particularly liked its blending of the
FoV and the world outside. The main problem I've noticed with the Swarovski Z6i is the enormous ocular housing. Even on the straight-barrelled 1-6x it might be so big that higher mounts are needed to avoid the bolt handle. Putting the light turret on top of the ocular adds to the tunnel vision, particularly up where it might cut important vision for the leopard hunter who feel a need of illumination.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 3 of the HT victory scopes,
1.5-6, 2.5-10 and the 3-12.
Fantastic low light capability and great illumination. The pick of the bunch for me is the 2.5-10. I’ve had it in my 375 Blaser and it’s performed faultlessly. The 1.5-6 is on my 416 Blaser and hasn’t missed a beat.
3-12 sits on my 300 mag Blaser . All are fantastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all

Posts: 229 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 3-12x56 victory HT on my main working rifle it has been on the rifle for four or five years now its been dropped knocked and submerged in this time it has never lost zero once. I regularly dial the ASV which works excellently Ive shot deer out past 400m and targets much further the light gathering is unreal on a clear night with half a moon you can still see and shoot deer and boar out to 150m with ease.
And its much lighter than the V8 that I also have, I think they are probably the best stalking scope money can buy. My only complaint would be it would be useful to have some marks on the reticule to help with holding for wind but then thats not really stalking is it.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You must also have formidable mounts, then, new forest.

The issue I was referring to was the added susceptibility of any big scope to being bumped out of zero because of the large objective dimensions ... and they don't come much bigger than with the 56mm lens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
You must also have formidable mounts, then, new forest.

The issue I was referring to was the added susceptibility of any big scope to being bumped out of zero because of the large objective dimensions ... and they don't come much bigger than with the 56mm lens.

I would think that after four or five years of use plus some drops, knocks and submerging your armchair theory is just that. Perhaps you should stick to more experienced based advice.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big fan of the HTs here.

If one needs an illuminated reticle, the Zeiss 60 trumps everything else. Simple controls, clear, sharp,infinitely variable dot.

And no, contrary to what those with no experience keep banging on about, using the ill. will not make you blind to the black crosshair that remains when the dot is off.

A few have said here that the HT is discontinued. Not so - both the the 2.5/10/50 and the 3/12/56 are still being made and still available. According to Zeiss, light transmission is superior to the V8 Victories and this better bad/no light performance makes it smart to keep these two HTs in the lineup.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:

A few have said here that the HT is discontinued. Not so - both the the 2.5/10/50 and the 3/12/56 are still being made and still available.

Here is the link to the Zeiss website. They list the V4, V6 and V8. Zeiss specifically told me the HT scopes were discontinued. I inquired when the HTs were being blown out at clearance pricing. They told me they'd continue to repair them as long as parts were available. After that, replacement would likely be the lone option.

If they are still being made, they are not being imported to the US.

Carl Zeiss Sport Optics

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9329 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:

A few have said here that the HT is discontinued. Not so - both the the 2.5/10/50 and the 3/12/56 are still being made and still available.

Here is the link to the Zeiss website. They list the V4, V6 and V8. Zeiss specifically told me the HT scopes were discontinued. I inquired when the HTs were being blown out at clearance pricing. They told me they'd continue to repair them as long as parts were available. After that, replacement would likely be the lone option.

If they are still being made, they are not being imported to the US.

Carl Zeiss Sport Optics

I'll see your link and raise you one Bobby Smiler

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer...ry-ht-2-5-10x50.html

We've also been told here in Aus that they have been discontinued, but clearly the only thing that has been discontinued (apart from the lower powered options) is their import to some countries. Probably importers trying to minimize the product they carry.
I'm pretty right for HTs, including 1/6/42s, but if I wanted another, I would be hopeful that one could be imported for me by our local importer with one of their regular shipments from Zeiss. Perhaps Zeiss US would be helpful in getting one ? Perhaps not ?

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss HT is up and about on their International web site.
No rumours about discontinuing the HT line here in Scandinavia at least.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I would be nice if Zeiss could simply get its story straight on these!

And if you do find one to import, I hope customs in your part of the world takes it easier on your scope than on 3 of mine. One was a Minox sent in for an upgrade. One was a Schmidt & Bender sent for repair, and the other was a Docter sent back to me after an upgrade. Two needed battery compartment covers replaced due to heavy scratching/marring, and the other required a new elevation turret cover after it was received looking rather scraggly. I assumed customs had an obligation not to damage stuff, but that does not seem to be the case.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it Zeiss is closing it German manufacturing plant. 80% of their manufacturing is now farmed out to Asian builders.

The victory range has been very good in the past, especially the binos.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote