New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binolcular/Rangefinder combo...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the local Cabelas today and decided to test out some new binoculars...normally in the past I wouldn't consider a combo set due to weight and bulk. However, the new models seem to have slimmed down quite a bit from a few years ago.

If you were in the market, would you go with the Swarovski EL Range 10x42 or the Leica Geovid range 10x42?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica has been doing it quite a bit longer than the rest. I've had Geovids several times, but wind up going back to separate binos and rangefinders. I like to switch from 8x30 for Africa and bowhunting to 10x40 for general use to 10x56 for scouting. Also, technological advances in binos and rangefinders don't parallel each other, so one becomes outdated faster than the other. But for an all-arounder, compromises are to be expected.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had both, and currently have the geovid HD-R in 8x42, this has the old body style with more updated optics, but no longer made. They are both great units, I would have kept the swaro but had weird issues cause of the yardage readout and the way my eye dominance worked, result being I could not clearly see the readouts.
Swaro had them back twice with their great service and we finally figured out t was me, not the binos so sadly I had to sell them.
Optically they are both excellent. I like the open bridge of the swaros better (my other binos are swaro SV 10x42's) but as stated leica has been building RF binos for quite a while. You can still get NIB models of the ones I have for under $2000 making the leicas a pretty good buy.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had both as well but I sold the Geovids and I will NEVER buy a Leica product again!

One day, I noticed fogging on the right side so I sent them to Leica for repair. Not only did they want to charge me $800 for their service, they said that it would take 3-4 months since they had to be repaired in Austria! I then phoned Leica in New Jersey and spoke to a rep there however they wouldn't budge with the repair price.

I then bought a pair of Swarovski ER's and never looked back...they are incredible in every way.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Leica for me either. Service, warranty, and company backing it up all suck. It's no wonder Swarovski is kicking thier assses.

I'm with Biebs though, and choose to keep them separate. For instance the $400 Sig Kilo is way better than anything Leica makes. A Sig and Swarovision combo is way better than anything Leica makes as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with leopardtrack and JG Raider on this. Leica stiffed me big time on a rangefinder issue several years ago, and are hanging a good friend of mine out to dry on a rangefinder issue on a pair of Geovids as we speak. Whatever I get for optics in the future won't be made by Leica.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After my trip for Stag in Scotland, I knew I needed binos with built in rangefinder. I wanted either Swarovski or Zeiss, but both were out of my price range. So I ended up buying the Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile at Sportsmans Warehouse on sale for $650. They are great and a real bargain. A little heavy? Maybe. But lighter and more convenient than carrying both binos and a rangefinder.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI

The quality of the glass in the Swarovskis with the rangefinder is not the same as in the swarovskis without the rangefinder. I had the Swarovskis without the rangefinder (the Swarovision model) and the separate Swarovski rangefinder. Their separate rangefinder is fantastic. You couldn't go wrong with it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is the 10x42 Geovids. I voted last month with my credit card from Doug at Cameraland.

They are great...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments on Leica. I do have their model 900 rangefinder and have used it for about eight years with no problems.
And I use swaro ELs for binoculars.
In my view I have the best of both worlds. But I sure will steer clear of Leica binoc.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned Geovids and sep rangefinders. For a pure RF, nothing beats the G7 BR2. Unlike Geovids, it calculates your ballistic profile with actual MV, BC, etc - not some lookup table. For general purpose hunting, I use the pocket sized Leica's.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, have them both, in fact I have two of the Leica's(old and new models) and one of the Swarovski's. I have liked them both and have not had a problem with either. I have taken both to Africa and to Mexico. To me it's the only way to hunt nowadays, especially if you use the Swarovski Ballistic turret scopes because you get your range from the binos, set your turret on the scope and shoot. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
For small targets, at long range, I use these.....

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've had both. I had the original Geovids and gave them as a tip and bought another pair (of the originals). Then I got the Swaros and kept them for no other reason than for a change.

I had no issue with the Leicas.

You can't go wrong with either.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I was at the local Cabelas today and decided to test out some new binoculars...normally in the past I wouldn't consider a combo set due to weight and bulk. However, the new models seem to have slimmed down quite a bit from a few years ago.

If you were in the market, would you go with the Swarovski EL Range 10x42 or the Leica Geovid range 10x42?

Heym,
I have used both and like the Leica the best. Ranges farther and is a bit sharper to my eye.
Both are well made and excellent but the edge went to Leica.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swarovski Range Binocular doesn't use the same Swarovision materials as the EL Swarovision.

I still think that my separately carried Swarovski Rangefinder is the best way to go. I've had mine now for about 6 years and it just keeps working.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote