Find
Notify
Tools

Leica GEOVID 8x42 or 10x42
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted
OK, having a hard time deciding between these two the Leica Geovid 8x42 or the 10x42

This first started when I decided I needed a rangefinder , after doing a lot of research on this and other sites, decided on the leica 1200 or the 900, more so the 900, for price and for the most part I don’t really need to know if its past that 800 out range.

Then gr8fuldoug starts posting these rebates from leica and the AR discount ,,well your killing me,,I do need a good pair of binos, and just to let you know this would be like a once in a lifetime buy for me. I was planning on spending not over $1000 on binos.

The other problem I have is there is no one in Oklahoma city area that has these so getting a pair in my hands is not going to happen, I might just have to drive down to Dallas ft.worth area Cabelas just to get my hands on one to hold and get a feal for them first.

What id be using them for,, everything.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Markus

Posts: 131 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're buying from Doug, the choice is easy, 8x42, because the 10x42 (non-HD) are gonzo.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If long range hunting is the norm then I would use my 10x40s.
Is close up bush hunting is the main type of hunting, then I reach for the 8x's.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I have the Geovids in 10x42 and am very, very happy with them. Haven't used any 8 powers in years, but I wouldn't mind if someone happened to give me a pair. The problem then would always be which one's to throw in the pack!!

I find my 10s work very well for both bow and rifle hunting, but I'm very used to them by now and they just seem to "fit" me.

Also had a pair of Swaro ELs that I only kept for a short time and I still have a pair of the older, compact Leica Ultravids in 10x26 I believe. They're my truck glasses.

I guess I've always felt that if I'm going to spend the money then 8s might not be enough for every situation and anything more than 10x was overkill....so 10x it is!!

My 2 cents!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 10x42 Geovid binocs and am quite happy. But you have to hold them extremely steady.

I often use them on a tripod as a spotting scope substitute (I don't use a spotting scope for hunting).

As much as I like my 10x42s, I would recommend the lower 8X magnification for general use. They are better night/low light glasses.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
From a varmint hunter's perspective, I prefer the 8X version.

I set my varmint scope at 8x so that I have the same perspective in the scope as in the glass. This means that the view of locating references (Things like fence posts and vegitation.) is the same in both scope and glass, and allows for faster target pick up after ranging and location in the glass.

Once target is located, I can dial up to the required max power in the scope. 10X in glass is a bit much in my experience.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 8x geovids and I bought the8's because I'm over 50 now and they are easier to hold steady for longer periods of time. Geovids are quite a bit heavier than you standard high end 8x binos.

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth, I faced the same dilemma. I opted for the 10 x Geovid and I’m very happy with it. My hunting buddy has the 8 x Geovid, which I would not mind at all if a 10 x was not available.
We compared them side by side, and we could not determine a huge practical difference. The 10x certainly shows more detail at extended ranges, the 8 x has a wider field of view. Both have excellent optics and both need to be kept still if you want to study detail.
If I had to make the choice again – I’d buy the 10x again. My buddy might also stay with his choice. I don’t know if you can go wrong with either one.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote