New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Diatal 4x32-C
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired a Zeiss Diatal 4x32-C 1" scope with a rubber objective bell. I cannot find anything about this scope. Does anyone know anything about them? Year? quality? etc?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Without poring through the Internet, I understand the Diatal C to have been one of the early image-movement scopes Zeiss made (the C probably refers to the constantly centred reticle), so it could date back to the 1970s.

Am I wrong in thinking you mean the rear (ocular) bell has a rubber eyepiece to prevent scope cuts? If so, they may have come a little later than the first constantly centred Zeiss with the one-inch tube, made to tackle the US market c. 1976.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Without poring through the Internet, I understand the Diatal C to have been one of the early image-movement scopes Zeiss made (the C probably refers to the constantly centred reticle), so it could date back to the 1970s.

Am I wrong in thinking you mean the rear (ocular) bell has a rubber eyepiece to prevent scope cuts? If so, they may have come a little later than the first constantly centred Zeiss with the one-inch tube, made to tackle the US market c. 1976.

no the objective bell... kind a weird.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
I had one of these scopes, but for the rubber band was on the ocular end.

The rifle and scope were stolen about ten years ago.

I found the scope rugged and bright—very solid. Since, I haven’t had it in a number of years, I have never compared it to new scopes in terms of brightness and clarity. However, my recollection is that it was superior on both counts to scopes that I owned at the time, I.e., Leupold 2.5 x 8.

In summary, I would like to have another. I can’t think of a better scope for a rough country hunt.

Posts: 8612 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Zeiss did produce this and other 1” scopes with the rubber objective bell in the 1990s. Why? Maybe just some cushion in the even if a bump. They aren’t bad glass.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

I have two of these but in 6x. Yes, you are not crazy there IS a rubber "boot" that covers the objective all the way back to the main tube junction point. GREAT glass and love the compact size.

One is mounted on a Ruger 77 RSI (full stock) 30/06 and the other "was" on an original Steyr M/S (full stock)M56 Mountain carbine. I say "was" because recently, something happened and the rifle went from 3 shot MOA groups to all over the paper. Put a different scope on and all back to normal.

Called Zeiss and gave them the serial numbers on both to determine/confirm "Lifetime Warranty" eligibility and was told both were made in 1985 so before the lifetime warranty was offered on all products. Was told to send it in, they'd evaluate it and let me know how to proceed.

Mailed it in a few days before Christmas. Got an email from them last Thursday they they had tested it and in fact "failed the aim point and tracking test". Unfortunately they could not repair it here in the US and had to send it back to the main factory in Germany. Flat cost would be $200 US including shipping both ways and all new internal components and even lenses with updated/current coatings if needed. Said it would likely be several months and offered to send me a "loaner" scope it I needed it. Passed on the loaner offer.

Figure for $200 and I bought he pair at a gunshow 10+ years ago for $200ea. To have a "like new, factory referb Zeiss Diatal C for $400 all in is still money well spent.

Call Zeiss USA and give them your serial number and they can tell you all about it.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteaux:
...One is mounted on a Ruger 77 RSI (full stock) 30/06 and the other "was" on an original Steyr M/S (full stock)M56 Mountain carbine. I say "was" because recently, something happened and the rifle went from 3 shot MOA groups to all over the paper. Put a different scope on and all back to normal...

Well, that's image-movement for you, not something likely with the reticle-movement scopes Zeiss made before 1976.

I don't suppose you noticed any rattle in the scope when you took it off the rifle?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. Didn't hear or see anything that was unusual other then something definitely messed up with the internals.

Actually, glad it was the scope. Would likely be more difficult and a good bit more expensive to make repairs to the rifle.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The trouble with faults in the scope is that they can sneak up and are generally beyond fixing by the user in the field.

Were it the rifle, you could check that the screws were tight or whether a piece of cardboard between the barrel and fore end might help.

This is why I hate modern scopes: the general design of having a long, articulated erector tube suspended on springs against the turret screws (and recoil) gives me no confidence at all. The irony in the matter of recoil is that aluminum erector tubes will have less inertia but, to ensure smooth operation of power scrolls, brass is more reliable. When the scope is installed badly or wound to extremes for a long shot the spring(s) come under lateral stress and are more likely to break under recoil.

The older Zeiss Diavari had only the reticle ring held by the spring and, not being leveraged from a distant hinge or gimbal, was much more likely to stay where you left it. And, if the spring followed the Nickel Supra pattern, it would have been fastened to the housing, not the reticle ring, therefore much less likely to be twisted and break.