New
Find
Notify
Tools

binocular hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
lacking a spotting scope, seeing paper holes at 125 yds with 8-12 power scopes is just not happening. so i take a rifle along that has a 22 pwr scope on it. works great. but the rifle is heavy and hard to use as a spotting scope. we have been looking for a new pair of binocs for back porch deer looking etc that can be used as a spotting scope at the range. and won't break the bank. so i'm guessing if a 22 pwr rifle scope works a 20 pwr binoc will too?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You better off buying a spotting scope.

Even a cheap one from Amazon is better than any 20x bingos you can get cheap.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. why
2. the binos will be dual purpose
3. by affordable i'm talking $900

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Give Dough a call at www.Cameralandny.com He'll fix you up.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you need to go quite that large on the magnification.
The fact that you are using both eyes and that stray light entering from behind is much less of a problem than with a scope means that you (or I at any rate) should be able to see much better through binos.

To put my comment into perspective, I can see bullet holes nearly as well through my 10 x 50 Leica binos than I can through my 22-power Nightforce scope.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and thats exactly what i'm using for a spotting scope. a 22 power Nightforce. what would an educated guess be for "nearly as well"? 90% ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always happy to assist the members here
516-217-1000
Doug

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug (above post) is the guy for this.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably do that soon. trying to sell some primers on TexasGunTalk to help pay for it but no luck. and i'm asking below whats listed on midway and powder valley and at local academys. with no shipping, tax or hazmat. maybe someone will bite soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Ebay and find Bausch & Lomb MADE IN ROCHESTER NY. The binos I like are 7x35 Zephyr weight. The spotting scopes are heavy--but good. Optics costing much much more are no better. Keep in mind that a lot of the 7x50 were military and survived WW2 the rough handling on ships--but they are still ticking.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
and thats exactly what i'm using for a spotting scope. a 22 power Nightforce. what would an educated guess be for "nearly as well"? 90% ?

Say 80 - 85%

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called doug thurs, they said out till tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm back, what's up?

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whats up is that we had a good conversation this AM and i bought a pair of binocs and a spotting scope from you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Doug is the MAN when it comes to any optics questions or purchases period!

God Bless, Louis

What did you decide on?

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Doug is the MAN when it comes to any optics questions or purchases period!

God Bless, Louis

What did you decide on?

you mean what did DOUG decide on? i'll know when it all gets here. basically 8x binoc and 15x45 spotting scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok ladies, this is what i got from Doug.
a ATHLON ARES G2-STRAIGHT 16X45X65 spotting scope and a tripod.
a KOWA BD1142-8XD binoculars
i have been hearing about Doug on this site and others for awhile and all the hype is deserved. knows his stuff and has great service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just set up the spotting scope. to say i am more than happy is an understatement. no more lugging an 8 lb rifle to the range as a spotting scope. i used a leupold for many years till it gave up a coupla years ago. this one is much better.