New
Find
Notify
Tools

4x scope dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm putting together a first rifle for my grandson and intend to mount a used fixed 4x scope. I'd like to use one that has the greatest amount of distance between the turret and objective and occular bells for maximum rearward movement of the scope in the rings. Of the common fixed 4x scopes such as leupold, redfield, burris, weaver, etc. which ones have that greatest dimension? thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for an older Leupold M8 4X. It will also have a 28mm objective which allows you to mount the scope as low as possible. Mounting low is very important for kids since when they put their small faces down properly on the stock comb their shooting eye may not align with a higher-mounted scope.

But don't just extend the scope rearward -- the stock LOP needs to be appropriate as well. Compensating for a too-long stock simply by moving the scope rearward does nothing to put the trigger in the right place for a short-armed shooter. Make the gun fit the kid if you want the kid to learn to shoot right. Sure, he or she will outgrow it, but there will always be another kid come along who needs a rifle that size. Right now, I'm fresh out of kids who need the mini Sako I stocked for my grandson, but it is currently in the possession of a good friend who has two grandsons just now growing into it.

Believe me, I've rigged up a number of rifles for kid shooters over the years and have found a too-high scope (or too low comb) to be a frequent problem that adult mentors often fail to recognize.

Similarly, recoil is much less a problem for kids than muzzle blast. Not only for their health and safety, but for better shooting, make sure that they have good ear protection when they shoot. Muzzle blast causes much worse flinching than recoil.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: thank you much for the good info. Being a Leupold fan, I was pleased to hear your advice and will start looking for one. Yes, the rifle already has a shortened stock, however, I'm going to shorten it a bit more geared to grandson's current size. Also plan on putting together some VERY light loads for him to start with and upping powder charges as he ages and is comfortable. He's used to shooting his .22 with a shortened stock and does well with it.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think Stonecreek has just about summed it up. I have a 20-gauge shotgun I shortened for my kids. Was hoping to let my grandson use it before long but his mother says I'm not allowed to take him shooting until he's 18 - by which time I might be long gone.

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use that scope for myself and it does have more than enough eye relief..another would be the 3X Leupold, and its even better it seems to me, but the 3X's are difficult to find these days and costly..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Yes, I think Stonecreek has just about summed it up. I have a 20-gauge shotgun I shortened for my kids. Was hoping to let my grandson use it before long but his mother says I'm not allowed to take him shooting until he's 18 - by which time I might be long gone.

Yes, mothers can be a barrier to the proper upbringing of grandchildren. My wonderful daughter-in-law has had to bite the inside of her lip many a time to tolerate some of grandpa's activities with her babies. Judiciously, the worst things I've done with the grandkids has been without her knowledge, which has worked best for everyone's peace of mind.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I currently have 2 Leupold M8 4x scopes. One is what apparently is referred to as a "long Tube" as its 12" long and is a 4x28. The other is a 4x33 and is 10 1/2" long. I think it is considered a "compact" but it might be a rimfire. I want to acquire another 4x28 "longtube" for grandson's rifle but don't know if there are other M8 4x Leupold with yet different dimensions. Please educate me on this issue. thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are four out-of-production Leupold 4X's that I'm aware of. I can't tell you the dimensions of current production 4X's, but here are the older ones (which I think are all labeled "M8"):

Compact Rimfire with 28mm obj, 60 yard parallax
Compact (regular) with 28mm obj 150 yard parallax
Short Tube (later) 33mm Obj
Long Tube (earlier) 28mm Obj

The earlier M7 was also produced in a long tube model. If you find a Leupold 4x which is about 12" overall then you've found the one you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stonecreek: Thanks much for the info. So I take it that only the long tube has the greater dimension between the turret and bells?

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Here's one for sale. In fact there are three Leupolds for sale that would work. I have nothing to do with the sale. Just passing along the information.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...-and-6x#Post13477163

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2282 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several 4x28s on my hunting rifles..you should be able to pick one up at a gun show or pawn shop for $150.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks labman and ray.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two older 4x28’s. One is 12” and the other a 1/4” shorter. Both are excellent, they give you lots of leeway in mounting especially for longer LOP’s. I’ve seen them between $120 and $200, depending on condition. Some have turned little orange in color. Nothing, little repainting or ceracoating can’t fix. They allow for a full 7mm exit pupil.
In the race for marketing and fad desires. The newer scope went to 33mm objective, adding extra dead weight for most people’s eyes as they can’t utilize the extra mm’s. Also, they shortened the front tube to compete in weight advertising and looks. The manufacturers think everyone should have 13 1/2” LOP, negating the need for the longer tube. With a longer Lop, you are forced to crawl forward onto the stock, unless you have a crane’s neck.
Older Weaver’s from El Paso had 3x long straight tube scopes. They are solid and not expensive, but their glass is mediocre.
Leupold has the 2.5x ultra light scope that does not have a long front tube, but due to an extra long eye relief of 5.9”, it compensates for it. It is around 6oz.’s with excellent eye relief and large fielf of view.
It’s nice to have choices available. Best of luck in your search.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mifguns:thank you for that info. Again, just the kind of info I was looking for. Will keep looking for a good deal on one of those long tubes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also the new Weavers are a pretty darn good scope, better than the old ones IMO..I got one in a trade and I liked it, it was clear as a bell and a nice scope..I also like the Leupold 3x9 compact, you don't give up a thing with that little scope..I like my Leupold Alaskan as well as any scope Ive used on a 22 or a 458..Its tough but damn used ones have a asking price of a $500 bill these days if you can even find one. I got mine for about $400 on GI as I recall, maybe AR..not sure..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120