New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot for Crossbow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 77 year old dad is struggling with a scope on his new crossbow. Missed twice at 150 class bucks now. One he fogged up the scope with his breath, and another time he wasn't comfortable with the eye box of a scope. He is a career open sight shooter.

Been considering a reflex style red dot for him. Something with a big dot and longer eye relief. Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire, Holosun...etc.

Anybody have first hand knowledge of something like this? How about the type of holdover offs to use for a crossbow?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
My crossbow currently has a vortex spitfire on it. Its not the greatest thing in the world but it is, in my opinion a big step up from the cheap optic that came with the crossbow. I have plans this year to change it out in favor of a c-more sight. I like the wide field of view that the c-more has where the vortex is like looking down a paper tube.

As for holdover, this is something you have to work out. I sight in at 30 yards which is usually the max yardage that set my shots up for but I do practice 40 and 50 yard shots, just for shits and giggles. The key for those distances are to practice enough that you can accurately gauge distance and use Kentucky windage to be proficient.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote