New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 4.5-14x40, B&C Reticle??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering a Leupold 4.5-14x40 with the B&C reticle. I know some of you guys have experience with that reticle, so perhaps you might be able to help??

Is it likely, that with a .270 Wby, 130 grs @ 3400 fps, the center cross hair can be used for 100-300 yds, and the next aim point down for 400 yds, the next for 500 etc?? And how does one determine which aim points to use for a particular gun/load??

What is the reticle subtension of the B&C reticle like?? More like a regular or a heavy Duplex reticle?? I looked in the reticle specs on Leupold's website, but could not find reticle subtensions for the B&C reticle.

Is the new "fast adjustable" eyepiece on the VX-III scopes about as "fast" as the old VariX-III scopes?? I.e. are the Euro adjustable eyepieces still a bunch easier to work with??

In these days of "mandated" Leupold prices, are there no ways of getting a good deal on Luppy scopes any more?? I also need another couple of scopes, so maybe a combined order might save me a $ or two?? (Offers and ideas welcome Wink )

It has been quite a while, since I bought a Leupold scope last. I have been in Zeiss Conquest land for a couple of years, but Zeiss does not really have anything to match the 4.5-14x40 with the B&C. Swaros are (perhaps) even nicer than the Conquests, but the 4-12x50 with the TDS reticle is a good $300 more expensive than the Leupold - ouch...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
The answer to you first question is yes. The first cross hair will be for 100 - 300 yards. Then 400, 500, 550, and 600.

It looks like a regular duplex. The B & C cross hairs are not near as big as I thought they would be.

The fast adjust seems pretty easy to work with but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I just got one of these a few days ago and have not had time to get it mounted yet.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey mho

How about a Burris 4x16x50 with the Ballistic Mil Dot, not the Ballistic Plex. With a flat shooter like the 270 Wby the ballistics would be like this:

130 TSX BC .466 @ 3400 fps @ 500' altitude the bullet would come very close to the mil dots which are set for a 22-250 shooting a 55 gr bullet @ 3680 fps. It would be this close to the dots:

100 yds - zero
200 yds - -.23"
300 yds - -.26"
400 yds - +.47"
500 yds - +2.87" (the heavier bullet starts to drop a lot less than the light low BC 22-250)

Now if you want to shoot the 140 gr TSX with a BC of .497 you could probably get 3300 fps:

100 yds - zero
200 yds - -.39"
300 yds - -.82"
400 yds - -.6"
500 yds - +1.12"

I have one of these scopes and with the side focus and large eyebox they are excellent and seem to be as bright as my Zeiss's. They are a long scope and I put an offset ring on the front and rotated it forward and it looked super.

Just finished switching it from my 270 to my 300 win mag and if I can get 3200 fps out of a 180 gr TSX the reticle and ballistics will be close.

JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies thus far, guys! Woods, I'll look into the Burris. Always worth keeping up to date on possible options...

Keep'em coming...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have the B&C reticle on a VXIII 2.5-8 and it doesn't interfere with aiming or whatever. With the 270 WBY you would use the center crosshair as Ga Deer Hunter explained with sighting points out to 600 yards and with a 10mph wind adjustment . Very nice workable design and is very similiar to the TDS system. You don't need a laser rangefinder for a TDS but will for the B&C. IF you don't want to use a laser rangefinder for the B&C your relegated to using the builtin rangefinder function on the Leupy scope. Good luck .

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense intended, but I sure as hell wouldn't be shooting at game at 600 yds without a LRF. Even a 300 WBY has the bullet dropping about 3" every 10 yards at that range. That's a 6" difference between a 590yd and a 610yd shot.

Maybe you're really, really good with that scope and all your deer are exactly the same size, but I personally woulnd't count on it nor advise others they could be accurate at that range without a LRF.

Just my opinion....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the new "fast adjustable" eyepiece on the VX-III scopes about as "fast" as the old VariX-III scopes?? I.e. are the Euro adjustable eyepieces still a bunch easier to work with??

It is much nicer then the older Vari-x models by a long shot as are the finger adjustable knobs.

quote:
Maybe you're really, really good with that scope and all your deer are exactly the same size, but I personally woulnd't count on it nor advise others they could be accurate at that range without a LRF.

I wouldn't use the B&C Reticle without a good range finder and 500-600 yard shots are out of the question for me anyway.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote