New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Low Bases and rings for Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where could I find bases/rings that fits a commercial Mauser, that are LOW. Very low in fact.

I have looked at the Talleys, but I find them a bit to high. I am putting a Kahles 4x36 on the rifle, so I dont want to see alot of "air" between scope and barrel. Or raise my neck to much.

S&K mounts?
Conetrol?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
SK are pretty low. On a 96 swed mauser the front base and ring are .400 hi.

beuhlers can be low too if you want vintage

Is conetrol actually still in business?

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Weaver-style cross lock bases with Burris low Z-rings. The Weaver bases are amply strong, but if you don't like their aluminum construction there are other vendors selling similar bases made of blued steel.

Another possibility is Redfield-style bases using extra low rings from Leupold.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The bee's knees in getting a low scope would be the O'Neil-Hopkins mounts Elmer Keith put on his 333OKH; so low the ocular virtually sits on the rear receiver ring. They might be a bit hard to find, though, and the only alternative I can think of would be carefully applied duct tape Smiler

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Weavers can be had in extra low and so can Leupold..but for your scope I think a standard low will be about right for any scope with a bell on the end..

.The extra low will work with a 20 MM objective such as the 3X, 1x4, 1.5x5, Leupolds or 2.5x Weaver.

Weaver bases give excellent iron sight alignment with those low bases or even medium based..and the higher bases can be cut in the center in some cases and made to work well with irons

I agree the Talley bases are just too high for low mounting and use of irons although they are excellent mounts and I use them with their peep sight that slides on the rear base and locks up and that is a winning solution.

Lynn Brownell made a QD Talley type ring and bases that the bases were very low and are the best that I have ever used for scope QD use with barrel mounted iron sights.

Some folks use very high mounted iron sight bases on the barrel and high front sight, but that's a butt ugly option IMO, I like sights low and petite.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Weaver bases are also offered in steel. They're the "Maxima" line of bases.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I orderd a pair of S&K sculptured base and rings.

Looks also plays a part.. Wink

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
Well, I orderd a pair of S&K sculptured base and rings.

Looks also plays a part.. Wink

I have always liked very low mounted scopes and almost exclusively use Weaver bases and rings where they are available for a particular rifle. At the moment I've got the lowest of the low Weaver base and rings on my cheap but great shooting Marlin, can hardly get an oily rage between the scope tube and base top, no ugly carry handle for me.

Yes I too believe "looks" play a part, that of a dead animal on the end of the barrel, nothing else really matters Wink

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Eagle27, I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always had great luck with Leupold bases and low rings. If they're not low enough, they offer what's called super-lows however I've never found them to give adequate bolt handle clearances. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them low..my favorite scope is a Leupold 3X and my favorite variable is the older Leupold 2x7x28..I also like the 1x4 and 1.2 x 5 to some extent, but can't see much advantage to them over a fixed 3X and fixed scopes tend to have fewer problems with rough usage..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a Griffin & Howe side mount, the only limitation to how low you can mount a scope is the size of the objective lens, or, in the case of a straight tube scope, the bolt handle clearance on the ocular.