New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kite Optics Skua Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone used the Kite Optics Skua Cases? Looks like a viable, and slightly less expensive alternative to the stay-on-cases offered by the alpha companies.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll answer my own question and put this out there for the next guy that may have the same question,

I ordered the Kite case(s) for a Swaro ATX w/85mm from an on-line retailer in Wisconsin. 2 days later they were on my doorstep.

First, they (eyepiece case and objective case) cost about half of what the Swaro units cost. Certainly a plus.

Fit is nice and snug, and allows the focus ring and power ring to be adjusted while fully encasing the spotter.

The zipper on the lens cover of the objective piece is rather light duty and am not sure how it will hold up over time. Extension of the sun shade can be done with the case on, but retracting it and getting it seated back fully can be a challenge.

The eyepiece cover is secured by a wrap-around piece of Velcro. Not sure why they chose a zipper for one end and Velcro for the other.

The biggest negative to me was the fact that the case limits access to the thumb screw to loosen/tighten the tripod collar - both with an uncovered and gloved hand. Likewise, the case does interfere with the rotation of the scope in the collar.

Still on the fence as to whether I'm going to stick with these or return them. I have a few days to make up my mind.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote