The Accurate Reloading Forums
Zeiss reddot 1x4//Anyone have 1st hand knowledge

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1421043/m/359105493

30 December 2005, 07:23
gregor187
Zeiss reddot 1x4//Anyone have 1st hand knowledge
I am wondering if the dot stays on when the battery runs out? And how in your opinion it works on running shots out to 100 yards. What is your overall opinon of the system over a 3x9
01 January 2006, 21:01
Nsiro
Hello gregor,

Although I don’t own one, I’ve tried one from a friend, it’s mounted on an express rifle in 9.3x74R and he uses it for shooting running game, mainly red stags and wild boars, in our traditional hunting Monteria. He really swears by this scope and doesn’t want anything else.

My impression of this scope is that it has superb optics, like all zeiss scopes, and it could be considered as a cross breed between a red dot Aimpoint sight, and a low magnification variable scope.
I found the red dot useful for shooting close and very fast, but I prefer a traditional reticle German #4 for shooting at distances over 75m. When it is switched off the dot appears in black, but it is not really visible, and you can loose it easily, at least I can.
I feel it is mainly a question of personal preference, you should try one before making a decision, but only the dot "floating" on you r field of view is not my preference, I like to have horizontal bars to help align the target, or some wider, secondary, aiming reference, like swarovsky circle dot, for fast close shooting.

Hope it helps,
Best Regards and Happy New Year
02 January 2006, 05:29
Heritage Arms
If your are talking about the 1,1x4x24mm Vario Point with the zero reticle I have several and have placed them on several custon rifles for drive shooting also. Batteries then to last about 6 days when left on at full intensity

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't
03 January 2006, 02:59
gregor187
Thank You for your replys, They were very helpful..