Find
Notify
Tools

Optics For Ar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted
What is a decent red dot or holo for an AR?

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint 3 is really good -- 4 is suppose to be a step up. IMHO EO-Tech is the way to go for a non-magnification site.

I have both of the above and they are good for CQB. BUT I really like my 4x ACOG the best. I went w. the red chevron and its good to go!!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the Eotech is the only true holographic sight. They worked with Bushnell on the discontinued Holosight which you can still find some places.

Lots of folks say the Aimpoint is more durable than the Eotech but both have their followers. I have the Eotech on my M4gery.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint and ACOG are great. A reasonably priced sustitute that works is the Sightron. Battery life not up to the standard of the military approved sights, but still pretty good.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I just mounted the USO SN-3 1.8-10 on my AR-10T. USO own web site puts my reasoning perfectly. I chose black for coloring and both MOA scale reticle and knobs are the same units. Reticle is lit green and it has ERGO and EREK features. Mounting requires Leupold Super High 30mm rings for proper clearance. Low power gives observational field of REDDOT while still has enough power to resolve sub inch at 600 yards. A real pro set up in my view. Report is sister scope is swimmable.

quote:
This model SN-3 was designed with the DMR/SPR style rifles in mind. The 1.8-10X zoom provides excellent CQB usage on the low power and on 10 X, it is capable of making accurate shots to 1000+ yards. This model is perfect for Military precision on the AR style weapon platforms as well as bolt guns and M14 style weapons. Even with the smaller objective, it still provides excellent low light capabilities. An optional adjustable objective provides accurate parallax adjustment from 50yrds. to infinity. Reliable adjustments and extreme durability make this scope a very effective tool in the field. MOA or MIL reticles allow you to use whichever unit of measure you desire.

SN-3 1.8-10x37 Compact shown with SN-12 3.5x scope. These reside on my AR-10 and AR-15 shorty.

MOA Scale Reticle with 2nd Focal Plane Power set at 10:

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the best Red-Dot site for AR's is the Aimpoint Comp M-4. I've used M-3 and several Eotechs also.

The M-4's are supertough and have incredible battery life. You can leave them on for around 5yrs before the battery runs down! I had a Mil-Spec Eotech not work for me because of a bad battery compartment, they replaced it free but it shook my confidence a bit. I've also had Eotechs battery's run down when I wasn't expecting them too.
With the Aimpoints you can pretty much just leave them on for weeks, months or even years at a time and not worry about it. The Eotechs shut off after 4-8hrs.
The Eotechs do have a wider veiw and better reticles.

Lots of other magnified optics that could be discussed but for me Aimpoints are the best Red-Dot sites..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post

I really like the Aimpoints too. Especially the T1.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote