New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Gran slam opinions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one care to comment on Weaver Grand Slam line of scopes? Durability, clarity, function etc... and how they compare to say Leupold, Bushnell, Burris and the like?

Thanks

Dave

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Excellent scope. Cannot say about toughness for I haven't had it on any large calibers. Tracking is excellent. Some think it ugly because of the rubber AO (if it has AO), but actually it sticks up making it easy to use.

Optically, I rate them the following way:

Nikon Monarch
Weaver GS & Burris Sig
Bushnell Elite 4200
Leupold Vari-XIII(haven't used a VXIII enough to say)

I have used all in the above list. But don't get the idea there are large optical differences. All those in my list are very close. And only picking nits will you find difference between them. Of those I have owned or of those friends own in that list, none have ever failed, except for one Leupold, that one fogged up on a 7mag. Leupold fixed it promptly and it fogged up again promptly.

There are other things to choose between. Leupold's are light and have extra eye relief. Burris is heavy, and has almost constant eye relief. Elites tend to be longer if that matters. GS might have the more accurate adjusting system. Nikons are a little better optically.

One I have only looked through in the gun store, but is worth considering is the Zeiss Conquest.

But the Weaver GS is a fine scope. Right in the thick of the group listed, and for less money in most models.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey
i have a gs in 4.5x14 on my tikka t3 in .243
the gun/scope is a winning combination
scope is bright and clear and i love the reticle are i also have 2 ziess conquest on my big game rifles and they are fantastic
is the zeiss better than the gs? i would say yes is the grand slam a great scope? you bet!!
divr6347

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 270 and a buddy has one on his wife's 300wsm, We both love them and so far no trouble.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Equal to Leupold VXIII in optics and build quality. I have used two of the 3.5-10x50 and a 6-20. One of the 3.5-10 is on a 338 and it has withstood at least 500 rounds and is holding up great. Tracking is perfect. The only downside when compared to Leupold is the second hand market. Used Leupolds sell better.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 6.5x20 grand slam on a 22-250. I like the scope a lot, much better than a couple of Bushnell elite 4200's I had. However, the grand slam does nothing better than a Leupold and the price is getting up there near a VX-III in the smaller scopes. I wouldn't pick a grand slam over a VX-III if the price was within a hundred bucks or so. Go with the Leupold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A GS 3x9 is $249 at Bear Basin. The 3.5x10 VX-III matte lists for $469. That's quite a bit of difference in price for 2 scopes that many agree are nearly equal. bewildered The Leupolds I own have always been reliable, but so have my GS's, Nikons, etc. that cost less.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I've had my GS 4.5x14 on a 300 RUM I think since 2000 so far no problems at all. Optical quality is good, holds zero, adjusts like it should. I would take it anywhere and not be worried about it.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Weaver GS on my .223 carry rifle 4.5 X 14 works great. A real value for the money. My buddy had the 6 X 20 on his Cooper .223AI no problems very accurate and the clicks are very repeatable.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10x50 on my .243 Winchester Blaser R93 barrel which is primarily used for Roe Deer. I couldn't be more pleased with my selection, IMO good solid scope and great value.

As an aside; after returning to Germany with it, the first time I took it hunting, I managed to drop it on an asphalt surface and bent the objective bell.

I wrote Weaver, sent the scope back and they (very quickly I might add) repaired the scope free of charge.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I've got a 6x20 GS on my prairie dog rifle. Outstanding scope, leaves nothing to be desired compared to Leupold other than, perhaps, adjusting the objective on the turret rather than the bell itself. However, if I had the $ I'd go for the Leupold.

I like it so much I bought a 4.75GS for my .270 after my ancient K4 fogged up this year. Love it too.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my latest rifle, a savage 116 Weather Warior in 7mmSTW, I was going to put a Leupold VariX-II 4x12x40mm on it. The only thing I did not like about my other VariX-II in 4x12x40mm was it could only be had with a Luepold fine cross hair, and I was a little worried about finding a game animal in low light and or in the timber. Well Weavers new Grand Slam had come out and was all the talk of EVERY shooting rag. I also read an evaluation of it in Outdoor life were O/L put it through a extensive spectrum of tests that evaluated it on all aspects important to a hunter. Thay ended up giving it both a best "buy raiting" and the "Editors Choice" award. Thay especially ravied about the excellent quality of the G/Ss glass.

The icing on the cake for me was when just for the heck of it I emailed Weaver and asked after buying no less than seven VariX-IIs, why should I buy a Weaver G/S, and what assurances could Weaver give me that their CS was on parr with Leupolds leagendarry CS? No less than the head of Weavers CS dept. emailed me back with a reply sating that Weaver would do what ever it took to assure my compleat satisfaction with their scopes in the event I ever had a problem with one.

So I bought a GS in 4x12x40mm and I am as happy as could be with it and would strongly reccmend buying a GS to anyone.

Althogh I am far from an optical expert, It IMHO that the Weaver Grand Slam represents one of the most outstanding values to be had in scopes.

Grand Slams have been out long enough now that if thay suffered failures rates and or problems of any sort, that it would have been all over the internet by now.

The only advantage I feel Leupold has over newer scopes like the Grand Slam is I am 1000% certain of and believe in Leupolds reputation for near bomb-proof reliability in a scope. that is the strongest selling point of a Leupold scope, at least to me.

Go ahead and buy the Grand Slam, you will be more than 100% satisfied with your purchase as I have been.