Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold MK4
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to the forum and have already found lots of good info here, thanks. I'm looking to buy a higher power MK 4 and would like opinions on best reticals (illum. and not) for little stuff way out there. Especially what the illuminated rets look like when turned off. I've about talked myself out of the 4.5 - 14 in favor of the 6.5 - 20 because rhe price is so close.

Posts: 18 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 11 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

I like the illuminated reticle since I sometimes shoot at night. If you're not going to shoot at night, there is no need for an illuminated reticle. When turned off and used during the day there is no difference in appearance between the illuminated reticle and the unilluminated version.

As far as specific reticle is concerned, I prefer the mildot but that is a matter of personal preference.

More power isn't necessarily better. Also, how far "way out there" you're going to be able to dependably hit a small target depends on the accuracy of your rifle just as much as the power of the scope. For the shooting I've done, to a bit over 400 yards, a 3-9X scope is nice, a 4.5-14X scope is very nice and I haven't found a huge advantage to a scope with 22X on the top end. The higher power scopes are bigger, heavier and you'll also need to focus them at the closer ranges.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote