Find
Notify
Tools

night vision scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Razzer Would welcome anybody's experience with night vision telescopic sights. Brands, features, generational differences, etc. Can you see the crosshairs, for instance. Looking at the potential for leopard hunting in areas where night hunting is allowed. DIstance of about 50-75 yards, no more.

THoughts????

Thanks!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT:

You might contact Greg Tannel in Kersey Colorado [www.gtrtooling.com]. Greg is a machinist and gunsmith who is also heavily into night vision coyote hunting. He has expertise and experience with all the major night vision scopes out there. He can give you authoritative advise on what works and what does not work and what gives you the best bang for your buck. He also sells various lines of night vision product.

Greg is extremely busy, but he might be willing to field a brief phone call on what works and what would be your best buy. He will give you solid advise. You can reach him at [970] 353-6176. Be sure and mention that "Jordan" said to contact him.

Good Luck,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st for leopard - better check & see if its legal in your area or not.
1gen is out you'd need infrared illuminator and 50 yards would be the outside limit in perfet conditions.
2nd gen - isn't much better than 1st, just some clearer
3rd gen - is probably what your are looking for, just be ready so spend a few grand on it
3 1/2 gen - is fantastic but is about 2-3 times more than 3rd gen.
once upon a time I taped a 3rd gen monocular in front of the scope & i think it would have worked our very well. Never fire the rifle so I don't know what the recoil would have to to the scope, but visual effect was really quite good

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Lots of info on the Hogs,Warthogs,Wild pigs,Javalena hunting.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks - appreciate the information and will follow up with the sources you mentioned. Not sure I want to spend major bucks, so will see what is feasible. cheers

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I use a G2 ATN 6900 for shooting foxes. It is possible to see (shoot) out to 200 yards epending on conditions. I have taken a fox at 200 shooting of a hay stack. The problem with 1 & 2 is that you need a very good illuminator and by the time you have a lamp with filter and 2Lbs of scope, things get heavy. G3 is excellent, but pricey and you still may need illumination, but not to the same degree as 1&2. What the illuminator will do is give you a reflection from the eyes making it much easier to follow/find the fox.

G3 is really the limit for ease of use and good range.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote