New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon 6x18 SF Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking through a new Nikon 6x18 variable with the side focus feature. It is a Buckmaster Model and the asking price here in the only sport/Rifle shop in Dillon, Montana is $322.00 no tax.
Anyone have any experience with this scope as yet or any comments at all about the price or where one might be found for less.
Thanks in advance for any information or suggetsions.
Yeah, this confirmed Leupold boy is growing tired of paying the really high prices to the grand old Leupold company so they can go off on their "half moon" looking expensive scopes!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

I just got one for Christmas, but haven't mounted it on anything yet. The scope looks nice and the clicks feel firm. I think I'll like the SF once I get used to it. $322 is high, check out theopticzone.com, mine came from there under $300 shipped. I've bought several scopes from Jon and he's top notch. I did a lot of research on this scope and seems to be a good bang for the buck. I hope to give it a work-out soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JustinB: Thanks for the info and the price check. I will bookmark the opticzone.com addy.
If you get it mounted and shooting I sure would like a range report on it.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should be able to give a range report in a week or so. Just got a new savage in 223 today. Got everything I need to shoot except the burris signature zee rings, those I'll order first thing next week from Midway. Once I get it all settled in, I'm going to give it the old square adjustment test to see how it tracks. I will say the target turrents are nice and it seems to be very bright.

I had a post going about this scope a few wks ago, you might do a search and seew what pops up. Several people gave it good reviews.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,, I can't give you a rundown on the 6-18 Nikon side focus ......they came out the next month after I bought 2 of the 6x18 Buckmasters with target turrets and regular front AO!!! I would have bought the side focus had I known they'd be out that quick! I do have a 4.5-14 Buckmaster side focus and so far it's been very pleasing!! I don't think I ever had any other scope that the adjustable AO....front or side was anymore accurate as far as range on the scope goes!! And dialing the 6-18's up and down and back again.....as accurate as I would hope for!! I use one of the 6x18's on the Sendero 300SAUM and the other on the .260VLS. The side focus 4.5-14 has been on the model 7 .204, the 17HMR Marlin, 2 different 25-06's(on the STEVENS 200 now! And I can tell you this much! If I needed another scope tomorrow, it would be a NIKON of either the Buckmaster or the Monarch flavor!! Spend just a litttle more jack and go to the 6.5-20 Monarch and compare it to your Leupolds!! Dial it up, down, hot, cold, whatever and then tell me if you like that one!! I'm betting you'll be a Nikon fan!!! GHD PS: And Jon Jakoviak at the Optic Zone will the cheapest place you find it!! Betcha!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog Devastation: I have one Nikon 6.5x20 that is 1 1/2 years old, and is on one of my 204's. It IS an excellent scope!
I am just in a "moneyless moment" here until a paycheck from some robbery suppression work I did in December gets here!
I sure like this 6x18 Nikon with the side focus I am seeing here in my town. I am hoping to make an offer on it this week. And I can afford IT now.
If the work money gets here soon I may just go up to the 6.5x20 Nikon again - but my local shop does not have one? Next shop (with Nikons) north is 110 miles to Bozeman or south 145 miles to Idaho Falls, Idaho.
I sure appreciate you and your taking the time to relay your first hand experiences to me!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin B: Search is on! Thanks for the heads up!
Please do let me know how it goes when your rig is up and running!
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
VG,

I've got approx 60+/- rounds under my 6x18 SF so far and she's still going strong. I've been able to get a few one hole three shot groups w/ it at 100 and a couple .6s at 200 so far.

Rifle is a 700 in 300 Win Mag (Heavy bbl). I've compared the Monarch, Vari X 3, Burris FFII, Bushnell 3200 out at the 200 yard line all in roughly the same power range and the Monarch seemed the best followed by the BMs and Leupie for a close second as far as clarity goes. The BMs scopes are fine Quality at a reasonable price.

I haven't put the Larger Target Turrets on yet as I've only been shooting it mostly at 100 and 200 but, when I move out they are going to come in handy.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: WOW on the way your 300 Winchester is shooting! Good for you, the Rifle and the Nikon!
As soon as Rush Limbaugh is over I am taking the LAST of my mad money to town and see what the local guy will let the 6x18 SF Nikon go for! He has $322.00 on it now.
I VERY much appreciate your experiences and range comparisons and you for taking the time to relay them to us!
I will get back to you with a performance report when I get one attached to my Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I can't quite remember what i paid but I know it was much cheaper....nine's on my ruger 77 compact in 204. I think the optics could be better but that's just me I guess.

'

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to get him down to $279. That is what we sell it for.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote